VA tint law clarification Please

Guest H3LlIoN

Guest H3LlIoN

So VA Law says:

"G. Nothing in this section shall prohibit applying to the rear side windows or rear window of any multipurpose passenger vehicle or pickup truck sun-shading or tinting films that reduce the total light transmittance of such window or windows below 35 percent."

With "multipurpose passenger vehicles being described as:

"Multipurpose passenger vehicle" means any motor vehicle that is (i) designed to carry no more than 10 persons and (ii) constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road use."

So. Couple of questions about this.

This means that I can go as dark as the custy wants on a pickup truck, or anything built on a truck chassis. The part about "occasional off road use" is ambiguous though. Would this mean anything with 4wheel drive? What about AWD sedans? One could argue that subarus are meant for occasional off road, given the ride height. I'm new and just looking for clarification on the law. Anything else you can tell me? Thanks dudes.

- H

We consider it a MPV if it does not have Passenger Car on the manufacturer's sticker (whatever that thing on the driver's door is called). You can take all the liberties you want but in the end you'll have to convince a judge.

Archived