A "dirty" customer is trying to burn me...

Guest pinoyheat551

Guest pinoyheat551

Yesterday i had a customer that came in for a tint. He came late at around 4 pm. He had a 2004 bmw x3. After the tint, the battery died. So, we jump started the vehicle. At around 8 pm, we finished jump starting his suv and he goes home.

Today at around 5 pm, he calls me up and says - hey man, you broke my instrument panel. Apparently, the odometer, fuel gauge, and the rest are not working. Is this something that i could've caused or is this something that he broke? First off, remember he was late so i forgot to do a vehicle check list. On top of that, i did not even notice that his panel wasn't working.

Could opening the doors for x amount of hours mess up the relay for those sensors? I dont know if he is trying to burn me for something that he already had. Also, it was 8 pm when he left and it was getting kinda dark. He should've noticed the panel wasn't working but he did not call me until 5 pm today. Kinda weird and shady to miss that right away. Especially in the evening when you have to look at the speedometer.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
when i do a car, first thing i do is pop the hood and put it on the charger, on a low setting!

Do you use a regular 12v charger or do you have a smaller one. I was thinking of doing the same I just don't want to be pumping to much juice to it.

Guest ridiculous
when i do a car, first thing i do is pop the hood and put it on the charger, on a low setting!

Do you use a regular 12v charger or do you have a smaller one. I was thinking of doing the same I just don't want to be pumping to much juice to it.

i use something along the lines of this. has a trickle setting, and an engine start setting should you need. :dunno

this ain't mine BTW, got this from google...

battcharge.jpg

Yesterday i had a customer that came in for a tint. He came late at around 4 pm. He had a 2004 bmw x3. After the tint, the battery died. So, we jump started the vehicle. At around 8 pm, we finished jump starting his suv and he goes home.

Today at around 5 pm, he calls me up and says - hey man, you broke my instrument panel. Apparently, the odometer, fuel gauge, and the rest are not working. Is this something that i could've caused or is this something that he broke? First off, remember he was late so i forgot to do a vehicle check list. On top of that, i did not even notice that his panel wasn't working.

Could opening the doors for x amount of hours mess up the relay for those sensors? I dont know if he is trying to burn me for something that he already had. Also, it was 8 pm when he left and it was getting kinda dark. He should've noticed the panel wasn't working but he did not call me until 5 pm today. Kinda weird and shady to miss that right away. Especially in the evening when you have to look at the speedometer.

What do you guys think?

I would say a fuse blew. I'll have to check alldata to see what powers the cluster.

o.k here's the bad news,when those newer cars run out of juice and you jump start them you can surge the the ecu and blow it or reset it.......... the good news is that it sometimes resets just with a flat battery and just needs to be plugged in. have to be carefull with those jumpers.... good luck

Guest Mario
o.k here's the bad news,when those newer cars run out of juice and you jump start them you can surge the the ecu and blow it or reset it.......... the good news is that it sometimes resets just with a flat battery and just needs to be plugged in. have to be carefull with those jumpers.... good luck

Right on... Especially German cars, and most of the new cars you have to be careful when jumping. There is a surge protector you can buy at the car parts store which will prevent from frying parts of the electrical system.

It goes on one of the poles of the jumper cables....You can also buy cables that already have this (approx. $44-69).... Being a battery guy, trust me on this one. Some electrical system are pretty prone to surge issues...

Why take the risk?

Archived