Office Windows

I have a neighbor with an office inside a metal building. He asked me about tinting the windows for privacy. None of the windows are in contact with any sunlight but it does get rather hot inside his shop. I only stock automotive film and really don't have any need for buying any flat glass film at the moment. Will the automotive film be ok since there won't be any direct sunlight hitting the windows?

I have a neighbor with an office inside a metal building. He asked me about tinting the windows for privacy. None of the windows are in contact with any sunlight but it does get rather hot inside his shop. I only stock automotive film and really don't have any need for buying any flat glass film at the moment. Will the automotive film be ok since there won't be any direct sunlight hitting the windows?

Yes, but as filmslayer has pointed out the lighting will play a part in the privacy aspect, considering that the windows do not get any sunlight the heat issue would still remain with the exception of the type of lighting is used.

I know it is not the right tint to use. May not take the job. Just trying to help a neighbor out who has helped me in the past. The lights he has are the dome shaped one bulb flourescent lights. I believe he has 7 or 8 hanging from the the c perlins in the roof. I asked him about the heat on the windows and he said some days they are warm to the touch but not too bad. Of course he does run an ac in the office. Should I shy away from this one? Don't want to cause any problems down the road.

Call your supplier and see if you can get a sample of the film that you think would be suitable for him. A lot of the time I will do that if I have an odd ball request if its just a small job. They will usually send a 60" by 10'. BTW don't miss out on to much flat glass :spit

Guest scottydosnntkno

using like a 5% will give enough privacy hopefully to get him what hes looking for.

The shop lights aren't really fluorescent, their HID or high pressure lights. After you tint them, tell him to take out 2 of the fluorescent bulbs from each fixture in his office to dim down the light and help with the one-way/privacy effect. It will be slightly dimmer at first, but your eyes get used to it pretty fast once you walk in the room.

Guest VOLTRON

it will be difficult to get privacy for this application because the lights in the warehouse are all spread out through the warehouse and the lights in the office are all concentrated in a small area. Even though there might be less lights in the office there is still a more concentrated amount of light in this small area. That being said a dark film will definately help give some privacy and make it a little more difficult for people to see in. He wont have the fishbowl effect as much with film as he would without film.

Archived