do you use TAP WATER in your solution?

Guest maxwax

Guest scottydosnntkno

mike,

one thing that is misleading about those types of filters is that a lot of them have a coating on the cartridge that gradually turns brown as its exposed to water, making you think that its doing more than it is. Now, the high end ones(which you probably have) do actually filter out the water, and the cheap ones do even if you have nasty tap water.

But, don't be fooled by the color of the filter.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sherwood
Don't laugh folks I have been tinting for a quarter of a century, I recently encountered a problem with contamination.

I was in dismay because I consider myself a seasoned professional in the tinting business. but this problem had me baffled.

I removed all the equipment out of my shop, washed the ceiling, floors and all my fixtures, I went back to work the next day with the same results scattered contamination! I tinted a glass 3 times on a Nissan truck with all the rubber pulled and door panels removed... BUT THE TINT WAS STILL FULL OF TRASH what the hell. I give up so I take my lunch break and go to the east side of town, I usually eat on the other side of town boy am I glad that I had a taste for BBQ today. as I went this this way what do I see, the Local city employees are replacing a water main. I scratch my head and say HMMM> after lunch I stop of at the local ACE hardware and pick up a 2 gallon sprayer ,10 feet of clear hose a lawn mower in line fuel filter, and a couple of the cloth paint strainers.

I assemble the contraption add a 1/2 bottle of J&J and fill it up with H2O problem solved.

So does everyone else filter their water?

I dont use a sprayer. I use a trigger bottle but what I did was buy one of those brita water filers and fill up a few gallon jugs so I always have filtered water and I dont have to stop and buy it all of the time. Works for me well. BBQ sounds f'n awesome btw LOL

I have used tap water since i started tinting. a basic lawn mower gas filter in my 2 pint poly sprayer filters well. i am a mobile tinter. one day i went to fill my bottles in a store and it came out brown!!! never know what ya get with city water.good thing they had bottled water in the shop, not sure if the gas filter would have been enough for brown tap water

Guest CZtint
19+ yrs , tap water no filter ... no problems ...

except for only 7 years, but I give you tip, water is mostly ok, but as I have no idea what sprayer was used sometimes when I find some contamination on windows its dirt on sprayer ventil (where the water goes out of sprayer) so if you have some kind of hose be very careful where you lay it, I always lay it on bottle and before I spray anything I always spray two short bursts on ground just to make sure. works pretty well for me.

Guest CZtint
I have used tap water since i started tinting. a basic lawn mower gas filter in my 2 pint poly sprayer filters well. i am a mobile tinter. one day i went to fill my bottles in a store and it came out brown!!! never know what ya get with city water.good thing they had bottled water in the shop, not sure if the gas filter would have been enough for brown tap water

id bet it would be ok, as you use water as medium to fit film on glass, once I had to use water well on countryside (also mobile) it was brownish but not so much, but I wouldnt drink it. came out nice without any problems as you squeegee water out anyway, so if there are no hard pieces of contamination I guess its ok. bottled water if in doubt tho.

Guest filmslayer
19+ yrs , tap water no filter ... no problems ...

except for only 7 years, but I give you tip, water is mostly ok, but as I have no idea what sprayer was used sometimes when I find some contamination on windows its dirt on sprayer ventil (where the water goes out of sprayer) so if you have some kind of hose be very careful where you lay it, I always lay it on bottle and before I spray anything I always spray two short bursts on ground just to make sure. works pretty well for me.

yes , i've had sprayers get chit in them and it sux when it happens ....

I use tap water and have for many many years. I did try using bottled water for a couple months and couldn't tell any difference in my installs, so I went back to straight tap water.

Wait until you catch the day when the municipal water supplier flushes the system of settled sediment; that's what moved me away from tap water.

Another way to see sediment from tap water is to flush your hot water heater, but it is not advised if you have never flushed the heater tank; gotta start doing this annually when new.

Archived