SPi Vision

Guest Nik Sandars@Bonwyke

Guest shadowline

Ok I've has this on my Porsche for over 6 months now, did I notice a reduction in light output? Yes... But I knew there would be its a perforated vinyl like has been stated so it will reduced the light output. Do I like the look? Yes, is it legal? Yes Did the MOT guys say anything about it ? No...... And my mum gave me a note saying I was allowed it on my car...........

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tint325i

it may dependend on the lamp itself, john- your porsche probably has far more effective reflectors in its headlights than my transit connect, if not factory fitted HIDs, again the average corsa / fiesta / focus will more than likely have lamps more comparable to my van than to yours, (e.g- cheap!) I can assure you in my single optic H4 halogen lamp units this stuff causes a huge drop in light output, like I said I stopped at the side of the road and ripped it off myself, if it was just a small difference I would have removed it at work the next morning, but it really had to come off there and then, light output was back to normal as soon as it was removed so there is really no other explanation for it,

I did experiment with an aftermarket HID kit, not brilliant in reflector lamps at the best of times (unless factory reflector HIDs but not many of those, most are projectors) but it didnt help, just a total loss of pattern

anyway- I think theres a world of difference between the lamps on a porsche / merc / range rover etc compared to the average sh[tbox

I really cant stress enough how dangerous I felt this stuff was on my van, and totally agree with the concerns of light output to the rear on tail lights, although it is still on the back of my van at the moment

564daae9.jpg

This was my van with the spi vision on. Looked good but I had to remove it as my light output was really reduced. In built up areas with street lighting it was fine, out in the countryside where I live absoloutley rubish. I could drive around with main beam in and not get flashed.

Guest TintingTom

And thats MOT legal on rear lights...surely car manufacturers have guidelines concerning the brightness of rear lights that they have to adhear to?

Guest Smashy

Been having a little play on the back lights of our Renault Scenic with my sample.

Two notes.

Don't be a smart arse and try doing it with your lights out, you have no way of holding them still whilst you peel and stretch the film. Just spent 1/2 an hour chasing mine round the dining room table.

Use a decent hot air gun with adjustable temp control. I have a cheap Ryobi one because it's all I could get here after my decent one died. It has two settings, Arctic cool and surface of the sun hot so I ended up either with a ridged film or a molten boiling mess. Add to that for some reason it doesn't give you full heat until it's been running for about 20 seconds and you have a recipe for trouble.

Eventually though I almost got there and it looks quite good. I am going to put the lights back in the car and do them again if the rain ever stops. Do you think this stuff would look good on an arc?

Don't try doing it off the car, like you said you'll spend more time chasing it around the table than fitting - I found out doing a pair of 1973 mini rear lights lol and they are like boxes.

Tip of the day ( letting all my trade secrets out lol), by using a heat gun too hot it will melt, rip or crease too easy. Use it on low heat only and quickly glance the heat gun across and don't pull the excess too hard.

Now here's the real tip. Use a wallpaper steamer alongside your heat gun on low heat. Get the steamer hot, put the film on the light and then steam the film and pull into shape, then quickly lock with a mactac. By using a steamer you can pull the film into shape alot easier without risk of damaging the film, the holes won't distort with a steamer unlike using a heat gun and it loosens the film to get the shape your looking for.

By using a steamer the film won't lock as quick because steam and water will be under the film but as you get the shape and lock with the mactac get the low heat on and it will stay.Using a bit of isoproponal diluted say 100 parts water 10 parts iso might work as it disperses the water but never tried it only on paint protection film.

By using a steamer you will shape it alot easier than heat but it does take a little longer but at least you'll get the film on the lamp. If it creases you'll be able to pull the film on and off easier with a steamer and steam out the crease, simples!!!!

Then as you'll have most if not all of the film on the lens, cut the film to the shape and gentle heat around the edges sealing it to the lamp, and fold around the edges. Works for me on the hardest lamps and in some cases speeds the job up.

Also if you use heat whilst flattening the film with a mactac or hard card it can crease, with steam it will crease alot less and if it does, lift off and on and the crease will disappear.

Remember, have excess film around all 4 edges of the lamp so you can pull it to shape, if you have creases on the edges of the lens, lift the film off and pull harder, that will pull the crease further out to the edge of the film and not on the lens.

That's my tip of the day; if it helps you guy's out I'm happy to help; tough business out there and we've all got to stick together.

Let me know how you get on if you try it, I guarantee it will help.

Archived