Crazy Customers

OK, I know its not right to make fun of my customers. But, sometimes it would be good to share what comes across my plate.

About a year ago, I had an interior designer try and thwart the installation of 600 sq. ft. of a 15% Dual Reflector film on Tempered Glass. She had the customer ask me if I had ever heard of the issue of "Spontaneous Combustion" as a result of film installation. Apparently the designer had heard that window film can cause people to be, somehow, be incinerated or "Spontaneously Combust" behind glass with a strong film applied to them. I had thought it was a joke and was looking for a hidden camera!

I assured the customer that tempered glass could take any type of film without breakage and proceeded to laugh even more with the customer. A year later I still laugh about the "INFERIOR Designers" obvious hysteria. :)

Another time, I was called and ask to remove a little over 100 sq. ft. of Hi-Lite 70 from a Hospital Chief of Staff's office windows.

The Dr. was convinced that after 6 months the film was making his office smell like "rotten sushi" I know there is plenty of stink when it comes to paying that much for Hi-Lite, but an odor off the film?.... Not Likely!

His Physicians Asst. said,.. "Someones Hygiene may be in question though" and he agreed the Dr. was being an A**.

I removed the film at no charge and have passed along the Doctors delusions throughout the hospital via my wife who is a CCRN there. Apparently he has a reputation for being unreasonable,...too say the least.!

The "spontanious" you mentioned is an issue with tempered glass. It is called Nickle Sulphide Inclusion http://www.glassonweb.com/articles/article/330/ .It has nothing to do with window film. I have seen this happen many times on unfilmed glass.

The only out gassing I have seen is vinyl, not window film

Look at the little photo and you will see a shattered pane of glass with an arrow to the inclusion. There was a restaurant I met a group weekly that had this issue. These panes were 5' X 9' clear IG tempered units. In two years I saw ten panes pop.

Try this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage

Archived