Cutting corners on flat glass

What is the best way to cut the corners when installing on flat glass. I had a small residential job today and the bottom windows were really deep. It was hard to get a good clean cut in the corners where the film bunches up. Any suggestions?

Insert your blade point at the vertical and horizontal frame intersect, cut 45 degrees toward vertical film edge and return to cut 45 degrees toward horizontal film edge; this will leave you with a triangle piece of film in hand and the film able to collapse into the cornner without the binding or overlaping of material found in using the dog-ear cut. Dog-ear style is portrayed in pictures in the above link to another discussion thread; sorry I do not have a picture of the corner-cut method.

The deeper the glass sits inside the frame the further out into bulk film you need go from the frame's corner. Less is more and you can still press the film in against the frame rather than moving across the film/glass toward the corner to press.

Insert your blade point at the vertical and horizontal frame intersect, cut 45 degrees toward vertical film edge and return to cut 45 degrees toward horizontal film edge; this will leave you with a triangle piece of film in hand and the film able to collapse into the cornner without the binding or overlaping of material found in using the dog-ear cut. Dog-ear style is portrayed in pictures in the above link to another discussion thread; sorry I do not have a picture of the corner-cut method.

The deeper the glass sits inside the frame the further out into bulk film you need go from the frame's corner. Less is more and you can still press the film in against the frame rather than moving across the film/glass toward the corner to press.

024-4-1.jpg

028-1.jpg

Archived