What gives

Can someone explain why this happens. I bankrolled and cut 80 pcs of film today. All the same material, in a a/c controlled room ( no humidity) and some of the film refused to roll up tight. It was like the liner was sticking to itself as I tried to get the roll tight. It made no difference weather I rolled liner in or liner out....the film just did not want to roll up tight. They were 82" long and some wound up to the diameter of a nickel and others are like the size of a 1/2 dollar. Those are the ones that will be a pita to drop roll I'm sure.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is the moisture content Tom. That film was probably converted and cut down into 100' rolls somewhere that is humid. The SRC soaks up the moisture and once it touches the liner it is like putting on the brakes.

You need to get that film somewhere dry. Try placing the boxes in a room with a dehumidifier for a day or two and it will clear up. :trustme

I can handle tacky film, but I did a big job with 8 mill silver SG security film. That chit had some much static it would pop the hell out of you when the liner was being pulled. Every piece would shock you, and the job was well over 400 windows.

Static is miserable. Try mounting an anti-static brush to your Filmhandler if you are using one. It will make a difference.

It's the liner surface itself; has something to do with the texture, which of course has to be viewed under a microscope. Mannies are always trying out different substrates for film as well as liner material; I believe some are more finicky than others in what they choose to bring in.

The big guys today have morphed so much you have to look really hard to find the remnants of industry-knowledgeable personnel and decision makers that are able to discern what is best for film assembly; e.g. some degreed bean counter could say we need this liner over that and not know the consequences of choosing the wrong one for dry adhesive.

The of course there is the moisture issue, too. Dry adhesive films left in hot, humid environs can actually have the adhesive quasi-activate and stick to the liner.

Archived