Glass Oxidation or not?

Hi,

need a bit of imput from a few of you experts.

Had a customer who wanted to replace his front windshield film because of a rust/light orange look about 1 inch wide on the left and right side along starting at the top all the way down. right to left top and bottom were ok.

I looked at it and thought oxidation, maybe a metalized film or v-kool about 40-50% vlt.

However! we pulled the film off and then started cleaning the dirt and the rust ,and it did not come off. tried a small razor blade and it did not come off, tried a strong solvent and didn't come off, also the surface of the glass felt smooth, so I think and I said to the customer that it is between the laminate layers of glass. This is the best photo I could take at the time.

Any ideas? also sadly a BMW owner lol

thank you

img00984201209261110.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Guest VaTinterPMan
:dunno I have never ran across something like in all my days....Was it the original OEM w/s?? And I would of looked at the edge on the outside to see if water was getting in between the glass and the pillar of the car....so it would be getting to the laminated part of the glass... but IDK man.....Try google Im sure it has happened to someone else before....

Already re-tinted over it, as customer needed it.

As I said, I try a razor blade trying to scratch it off (but the glass was smooth, so no dirt/rust to take off, strong solvents, but nothing. If it was on the inside, some would of been shifted by the blade. Once we had taken the film off, it looked like it was in the layers of glass.

It was a Pilkington screen, looked to be original.

Guest VaTinterPMan

Although it was a 3 series and only a few years old and the toll tage worked ok. But what the information/article says makes total sense.

thanks for that

Anytime man....I dont know if that is a up to date you know....cause we have pages for cars that need felt and I dont know if that is up to date or not....And Some year cars could get it and some might now depending on where they are made...

Like V Dubs....( VW ) they are made all over the world....from Spain to America to Germany it just depends on where it is and than from there what parts it gets...

Archived