super tight trim on rear windows

Guest VaTinterPMan

Good Old California Reverse Roll for me....At least that is what it was called back in the day when I first heard about it...Now just reverse roll...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VaTinterPMan

the only thing I roll California style is a dewbie. :slayer :lol2

OMG :lol2 how did I know you were gunna twist that around.....Ha I said Twist....Might as well...Twist it up c2c :lol2

I'm a reverse-roll man, for sure, but the frankie has it's place. I really should do it more often to keep in practice.

There are a couple things about it that make it tricky - I saw in a video and in a thread about the technique, some guys put the liner back on the film, lay it on the rear deck, then peel it and stick it. I did that on this job, and it worked out. However, I wouldn't DARE try that one on a big fuzzy rear deck....

It was tough because the film doesn't stay in place while you peel the liner - not like when it's on the car or on a peel board..... Are there any tricks for this? I just had to pinch the film edge to get it to peel without pulling the whole works down into the back seat....

well that is obviously better than leaving the whole liner on and awkwardly peeling it on the rear deck, but It sure doesn't seem like that would make much or a cleaner seam than the 'taco' fold, straight frankie.

the reverse roll is ideal to me, in most applications, but only with the proper procedure. there is always a risk of pulling trash off the liner, the perimeter of the glass, or you flub it on the install. when the rear deck is really tight, go frankie and slide it down. there is the same risk of flubbing it on the install, plus the potential for trash in the open air. the trifold has more finger contamination, avoids open air contamination, but still has the risks of flubbing it by dropping it onto the trim.

the universal key to whatever technique you prefer is speed. If you peel the liner and get it on the glass in a hurry there is way less risk of dust settling on it.

Guest VaTinterPMan

I'm a reverse-roll man, for sure, but the frankie has it's place. I really should do it more often to keep in practice.

There are a couple things about it that make it tricky - I saw in a video and in a thread about the technique, some guys put the liner back on the film, lay it on the rear deck, then peel it and stick it. I did that on this job, and it worked out. However, I wouldn't DARE try that one on a big fuzzy rear deck....

It was tough because the film doesn't stay in place while you peel the liner - not like when it's on the car or on a peel board..... Are there any tricks for this? I just had to pinch the film edge to get it to peel without pulling the whole works down into the back seat....

I imagine you would have to soak the hell out of the film than put the liner back, so it would be easier to pull in the back..

I didn't feel like reading every post so this may have came up. I use a quick foot or slim foot wedge it in the molding like the door stops frankie it in and use the foots as a pry bar tuck the film then use a hard card with a paper towel to squeegee the film out. eliminates removing panels

Archived