Film for sound absorption

I had a company several years ago that we sold interior mounted magnetic storm windows that were very effective at greatly reducing noise from outside. The windows also were fantastic energy also. Worked by creating a dead air space between the original window and the magnetically sealed interior window. I built each window using plexiglass with edges finished using a magnet encased in a extruded plastic flexible channel that the plexiglass fit into a groove. To mount the window we installed a medal L type channel in the inside frame of the primary window. We were limited in size of around 6x6 feet due to expansion and contraction of the plexiglass. We even had material with the magnet set in a bellow setup like on a refrigerator door that was a perfect seal on entry doors.

Pretty amazing, I will see if I still have a demo window at work to take a video with. Getting ready to build some for a few windows at home.

Hey Stan, 3M used to make what you are talking about, we sold them many years ago and it did not take off very well.

Here are a few pics from then at a trade show.

scan-1.jpg

scan-2.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool Mike:beer

The cost was pretty high to produce them back then and still must be! They do work huh... Keep out the cold, sound and hot air drafts in the summer. Do you think with all the green movement the last few years we could sell um now days?

I have about 500/600 hundred feet of 3/4 inch edging in brown that would look nice on my home windows that when I get the money for the plastic! I'm sure the payback would be pretty fast with what my heating bill is!! Have had the edging in inventory for prolly 20 years.... Good thing the half life of the magnet is 75 years!!!

Do you remember what the expansion rate per running foot is when mounting inside a recessed frame?

Thanks for the pictures from back in the day.

Cheers

Very cool Mike:beer

The cost was pretty high to produce them back then and still must be! They do work huh... Keep out the cold, sound and hot air drafts in the summer. Do you think with all the green movement the last few years we could sell um now days?

I have about 500/600 hundred feet of 3/4 inch edging in brown that would look nice on my home windows that when I get the money for the plastic! I'm sure the payback would be pretty fast with what my heating bill is!! Have had the edging in inventory for prolly 20 years.... Good thing the half life of the magnet is 75 years!!!

Do you remember what the expansion rate per running foot is when mounting inside a recessed frame?

Thanks for the pictures from back in the day.

Cheers

The idea was a good one back then "1970s", I would think it would be a very limited market now a days to sell them, just as it was back then due to to install labor and material costs as well as the pay back.

I will check and see if we still have any info still at the shop next week on the expansion rate.

This is a lot cheaper idea and a DIY install.

windowins3.jpg

windowins2.jpg

Mike/Stan

Nothing to do with sound suppression, but there is a company in CA that uses the same mock up frame with a sheet of window film. It is for those who do not want the film on the glass and or wish to remove it for one season or another; it's called Clear Wall. http://www.clear-wall.com/

Archived