Shop Manager Question

I'm a PPF and Window Tint business owner.

I have a shop with 5 bays and 4 installers. We do both PPF and Window Tint mostly wholesale

work and going public and will grow pretty quickly.

I will be adding another 1-2 installers and want to know about hiring a working Shop Manager.

As Shop Managers go would this be a good idea?

I need someone to take charge of Quality Control, Training, staying ahead on new materials and ideas, daily work schedules etc.

Are Shop Managers usually hired for a shop this size or do we need to wait until we get larger?

Do Window Tint and PPF shops have Shop Managers?

Wanted to get input from Shop Owners, thanks guys!

My first thought is that if you bring in a new "manager" and do not at least look to promote from within, you may see some descent. Most installers that I know will take better to a mgr that can walk the walk and not just talk the talk. You may be looking for more of a office Mgr than shop mgr.

I've brought the subject up to the Installers and they don't seem to have a interest to lead, they just want to follow. They don't want the pressure.

I would be the first one to promote from within. What size of shop actually needs a Shop Manager?

I would say that if you are having problems with the status quo than you may be ready to expand and hire. It's a personal choice for everyone and no one size fits all. It's like asking how many apples are to many.

Carbiz do you plan on being an absentee owner?

Yes, ALL shops need to have someone in charge and taking control of all the things you mentioned. Having all the proper processes in place and training employees to know exactly what is expected of them will save you huge headaches.

Carbiz do you plan on being an absentee owner?

Yes, ALL shops need to have someone in charge and taking control of all the things you mentioned. Having all the proper processes in place and training employees to know exactly what is expected of them will save you huge headaches.

I'll be looking to expand soon and don't need any headaches.

Guest Auto-Links

Think A front office/production manager sounds like what you need.

You already have all of your installers lined up, someones just to make sure cars go in and out in time and organize the paperwork.

I'm a PPF and Window Tint business owner.

I have a shop with 5 bays and 4 installers. We do both PPF and Window Tint mostly wholesale

work and going public and will grow pretty quickly.

I will be adding another 1-2 installers and want to know about hiring a working Shop Manager.

As Shop Managers go would this be a good idea?

I need someone to take charge of Quality Control, Training, staying ahead on new materials and ideas, daily work schedules etc.

Are Shop Managers usually hired for a shop this size or do we need to wait until we get larger?

Do Window Tint and PPF shops have Shop Managers?

Wanted to get input from Shop Owners, thanks guys!

I expect the manager to be able to tint too.

He is not only a manager but he must be always there to take over the jobs from installers on leave.

otherwise, the manager is just a saleman in the shop.

Archived