US Tint Laws with links

tintmeter

ok, so reading the link to our Illinois act page I am very confused.  I was sure it used to say something about allowing darker behind the driver with nothing on the front sides.  Now that paragraph is gone or changed.  Only thing that is close is "(b) On motor vehicles where window treatment has not been applied to the windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver, the use of a perforated window screen or other decorative window application on windows to the rear of the driver's seat shall be allowed. "  I don't have my old copy of this but I am pretty sure that was the paragraph. 

It appears that now we are not allowed to tint the rear darker at all...... did it really change this way?

Guest Akers93

Haven't heard anything like that, wouldn't make much sense to me for the back to matter on how dark it is with the fronts clear

Also it doesn't say specifically that you cant put a darker film on the rear with none on the fronts (that I noticed)

Edited by Akers93

(b) Nothing contained in this Section shall prohibit the use of nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass, nonreflective film, perforated window screen or other decorative window application on windows to the rear of the driver's seat, except that any motor vehicle with a window to the rear of the driver's seat treated in this manner shall be equipped with a side mirror on each side of the motor vehicle which are in

conformance with Section 12-502.

This change was made this year January 1, 2014. Sucks but I see vheicles in the Chicago land area all the time with 20% all around tint. Why is it ok to have an SUV factory tint plus any shade of tint on the rear and was 35% up front but now 50% +or- 5%. I see by my house cop cars that have 20% all windows. Don't mean to start a fight here.

Rich

SUV have never been able to have any tinted film added to the rear and be legal with any tinted film on the fronts.  The most you could ever have on the SUV was 50% on the fronts without anything added to the rear.  This being on the "new" law from 2009.

To add to this thread and my questions.  I have spoken with the IWFA rep as well as Steve Williams who was and is one of our fellow tinters in Illinois that is helping with the legal parts.... They assured me that the only change that came out here in 2014 was to make it where Chicago nor anywhere had the right of "home rule" on the window tint laws.  Before Chicago thought they could just enforce whatever they wanted and they did!