Commonwealth Laminating & Coating Inc. to be Acquired by Eastman C

Good call Tom. It would be the worlds greatest thing if we could stop weekend worriors from slapping up tint and asking for money, but the only thing that it would result in is if you stop selling to people trying to learn how to tint, they will just buy it elsewhere for less. Creating a "No tint for you" mentallity will harbour resentment in tinters as they are up and coming and they won't want to deal with you in the future. I hate that anyone can buy film at trade prices, it bugs me big time, but instead of saying "that guy/girl is not very good, I don't want them using our product" It would pay more to guide them in the right direction and show them the way forward. Breed professionalism, not try and target people once they have eventually found their way on top. Lift them up there with your own hands.

SunTek haven't taken huge chunks of Lulu's market share because they were selective, they did it because they just wanted to sell film. They made themselves efficient and sold film to people who wanted to buy film. EC don't want Commonwealths technology... Lets be honest, Lulu is a better product.

I am glad to hear that it will have a positive affect on your biz Tom. You are a great installer, and seem like a great guy.

Cheers.

Lulu is a better product? You're joking right? Or maybe you haven't been in business long enough to see their failures over the last 35 years.

No manufacturer is immune from poor decision making and manufacturing screw ups and that goes for Lulu, Huper, 3M, Suntek, Solar gard, and Madico. We have sold them all "professionally" and replaced them all from time to time for stupid defects. Well made window film really does not last more than 15 years. Face it, it's just consolidation of an industry in decline as glazing technology surpasses film.

Hey Long time.. Welcome!!!

I just happened to be in biz enough to have used Lulu from 1997 and everything from the base components, to the adhesive, to the scratch coat, to the color stability, to the liner that are produced by Lulu (IMO) are superior to CLC. I am now seeing film from ST's high end range changing colour within 18 months. I guess you are saying that you believe that CLC produce a better final product?

With that said, I have also seen some auto films delaminate and turn purple within a few years from Lulu.

Everyone will have their own opinion on whom produces the best films, and I really don't want to fan the flames of a fire that can't be extinguished.

I completely agree about the advances in glass technology. I am blown away by glazing units such a sage glass, and glass that can distinguish the difference between summer Infrared light and winter Infrared light.

Retro film will be the affordable option for many years to come, and hence why the world's largest glass producer aquired SolarGards window film producing capabilities.

Cheers.

Good call Tom. It would be the worlds greatest thing if we could stop weekend worriors from slapping up tint and asking for money, but the only thing that it would result in is if you stop selling to people trying to learn how to tint, they will just buy it elsewhere for less. Creating a "No tint for you" mentallity will harbour resentment in tinters as they are up and coming and they won't want to deal with you in the future. I hate that anyone can buy film at trade prices, it bugs me big time, but instead of saying "that guy/girl is not very good, I don't want them using our product" It would pay more to guide them in the right direction and show them the way forward. Breed professionalism, not try and target people once they have eventually found their way on top. Lift them up there with your own hands.

SunTek haven't taken huge chunks of Lulu's market share because they were selective, they did it because they just wanted to sell film. They made themselves efficient and sold film to people who wanted to buy film. EC don't want Commonwealths technology... Lets be honest, Lulu is a better product.

I am glad to hear that it will have a positive affect on your biz Tom. You are a great installer, and seem like a great guy.

Cheers.

Lulu is a better product? You're joking right? Or maybe you haven't been in business long enough to see their failures over the last 35 years.

No manufacturer is immune from poor decision making and manufacturing screw ups and that goes for Lulu, Huper, 3M, Suntek, Solar gard, and Madico. We have sold them all "professionally" and replaced them all from time to time for stupid defects. Well made window film really does not last more than 15 years. Face it, it's just consolidation of an industry in decline as glazing technology surpasses film.

Wow, came out with all guns blazing for a first post: lol

Welcome to the forum Long time

Guest long time n biz

Cheers.

Wow, came out with all guns blazing for a first post: lol

Welcome to the forum Long time

E

Thanks for the welcome! They're all struggling with issues. We have no brand loyalty and use whatever the GC or architects needs for the client. We have mastered the art of changing specs to maximize profits too.

Archived