lenght of time your film will last?

Hi FilmTack,

I strongly agree with many of your points.  Removing the dyes does in fact reduce the potential for fading, but that classic looking factory match "Charcoal Film" which remains so popular does require a dyed component.  Fortunately (and as you point out) a quality dyed film will fade so slowly and so uniformly that it is practically a no-factor situation.

QUV testing, which we do at EWF, does yield good real world comparisons when used as a film-to-film comparison.  In our own testing, we see many quality products being offered, with the two best-of-the-best products being Llumar & Global.  In fact, we use those two as our "controls".  In other words, we evaluate how each other film in the machine did compared to those two.

And you are 100% correct to point out that it's very much dependent on ambient conditions.  You can put the cheapest $0.07 sq/ft film on a car and it will hold up quite well if it spends most of it's life in a garage (which some pampered vehicles do).  On the other hand, if you work at a shopping mall and leave your car out in the lot all day away from any shade or trees - that is another story.

Because HP films have metal in them and metal reduces VLT, a smaller amount of dye is required to hit the VLT target.  Less dye = less dye to fade = less potential to fade.

So I very much agree with you.  It's all brand specific and climate specific and exposure specific. 

-Howard

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr Howard, 

thanks for sharing your thoughts. You are good. 

I read the latest issue of the window films magazine this morning. I see an emerging trend. i noticed (nearly)every manufacturer who advertised in that issue (be it big or small factories), provides long-time warranty or carry non-fading auto films. I suppose that they are referring to products of 10-years fading durability.

Everyone is producing more durable products now and when everyone is doing so, prices will come under pressure.

Hi FilmTack,

I think that the top-tier films may continue trend upward in price as the manufactures strive to constantly improve them.  As better components become available in the market, it can drive up the cost of manufacturing industry leading films.

Making window film is a very capital intensive business.  The highest margins are on the installation side and the lowest are on the manufacturing side. 

-Howard

The highest margins are on the installation side and the lowest are on the manufacturing side. 

-Howard

I beg to differ, Mr Howard, I believe the smallest margin is on the distribution-front. :lol2  it is time we move on.

I think that the top-tier films may continue trend upward in price as the manufactures strive to constantly improve them.  As better components become available in the market, it can drive up the cost of manufacturing industry leading films.

Dow crossed 17000 today but some manufacturers' sales to my region has dropped in 2014:

- The factory who enjoyed the highest sales growth in Asia (since subprime), saw Asian sales collapsing in the first half of 2014.

- Another clocked some growth, only because they hiked price in 2014. There is no increment in sales volume.

- The list goes on......

Market is disoriented from where i am from, so 2015 price-hike will be a bold move.

However, you could still be right that prices are going up. I have been warned of higher polyester price in fourth quarter of 2014. But.......cost of raw materials usually constitutes a smaller portion in the sales-price of a top-tiered tint. Let's see how thing goes. I believe you have closer ties to factories and more reliable info than me.

Well, I suppose we could close the warehouses and open up an installation business, but my skills are so lacking that I could not possibly make a living at it.  I would not want to be in manufacturing. That much I am sure of. 

Have we met over the years?  Are you coming to SEMA?  Please do stop by our Global booth.  It would be nice to meet you.

-Howard

I do believe that the industry will continue to grow and it does represent a lot of expansion potential here in the USA and in your region as well.  Consumer awareness of the benefits of these products continues to increase.  The sun shines every day, so I expect our phones will continue to ring.

Particularly in the area of architectural products.  There is so much worldwide focus on global warming and the need to reduce energy demand.  Few (if any) retrofit applications offer such immediate cost/benefit savings.

I am a very lucky fellow, having chosen a career path back in 1982 that is still on a growth track.  I believe that there are still many chapters left to write in this story book and a lot of money to be made.  In fact, even after 32 years, I feel like I have not even scratched the surface.

-Howard

Well, I suppose we could close the warehouses and open up an installation business, but my skills are so lacking that I could not possibly make a living at it.  I would not want to be in manufacturing. That much I am sure of. 

Have we met over the years?  Are you coming to SEMA?  Please do stop by our Global booth.  It would be nice to meet you.

-Howard

We used to visit SEMA annually in the past 15 years but we stopped doing so three years ago. Hahahaa, the past 3-years were not profitable. I was working really hard and busted my travelling budget before the end of the year. :lol6

SEMA is the still most important annual event in our industry. We should go at least once every 5 years.

Yes,  i do keep in touch with Garware. hahaha, but i think your prices are better

:trustme

I do believe that the industry will continue to grow and it does represent a lot of expansion potential here in the USA and in your region as well.  Consumer awareness of the benefits of these products continues to increase.  The sun shines every day, so I expect our phones will continue to ring.

Particularly in the area of architectural products.  There is so much worldwide focus on global warming and the need to reduce energy demand.  Few (if any) retrofit applications offer such immediate cost/benefit savings.

I am a very lucky fellow, having chosen a career path back in 1982 that is still on a growth track.  I believe that there are still many chapters left to write in this story book and a lot of money to be made.  In fact, even after 32 years, I feel like I have not even scratched the surface.

-Howard

You are too humble sir, you are one of the gurus here.

I have learnt a lot from smartie2shoes too. 

Well if you do come out to SEMA, please do stop by.  And yes - I have learned a great deal from Mr. Smart as well and I always look forward to his posts.

I am in touch with Garware daily.  Phone calls, teleconferences, emails...  We have a very close and strong partnership which has proven to be rocket fuel for our business.  Our customers just love these products.  I don't have a handle on how our pricing stacks up against others.  They are not the cheapest game in town but from our perspective, they have the quality.

-Howard

Archived