Jaguar IV- can't get it to cut tint consistently

I bought it used, I have a brand new blue blade holder, a new 25 degree blade and a brand new cutting strip. I can dial it in very close to 100% but always seem to have a 1 inch area that I have to finish cutting when I weed it out. Many times it's 2 small little areas that I need to trim. If I up the pressure a notch or 2, it seem to cut worse. Twice now after switching blade holders to cut PPF, when I go back to my tint blade, I have to start from scratch and dial in the cut all over. I'm starting to think it could be just a crappy plotter, never had any problems with my Roland.

Guest kccartint

The most common issues are going to be the cutting strip and speed.  Though blade depth, sharpness, degree and static also play a big part.  Even with the new cutting strip its easy to not have one that is completely flat.  You really have to run you fingers or straight edge over it several times to make sure you have no low or high spots.  In your case it would be a low spot.  If its in the same spot every time that would be the first place to look at.  Speed plays a big part as well.  Too fast is always trouble but too slow is just as bad.  Your looking for the film to consistently glide through the blade.  Cutting on the pull can negate a lot of issues a continuous cut can cause.  Blade sharpness can also be and issue.  The 25 degree blades do well but do not be afraid of the 30 or 45 degree blades as well.  They will cut tint just fine when set up correctly.  

Many that cut PPF always struggle with this since PPF is so easy to cut.  Some films just plot crappy and take some time to dial in.  Start with the basics and work from there.  

Archived