So we just did our training with the guys from premium shield in Australia, after we have done some more cars I'm sure we can get the applications looking A1. The only problem we seem to have is very small bubbles at the bottom of the hood where the film wraps around the edge, not enough stretch when tacking the film under the seam of the hood? Is this a common thing for brand new installers? Any tips for some new guys would be gratefully received !!

You don't want to stretch when you are wrapping a panel as this puts the film under a lot of stress and makes it more likely that it will lift. What I do is work along the edge slowly, rolling the film around the edge with my thumb, then finish off flattening under the bonnet with a butterfly card. 

Steve.

Yep, as minty says jj, roll it around with your thumb carefully and take your time at first, I usually sit it down with my thumb under the bonnet, trim any excess and use a wrapped or felt edge hard card and a bit of heat to set it. Not that I do much ppf any more but I might get into it again, my tinter seems to be a natural at it, with only a bit of training , he is stretching and wrapping some pretty hard mirrors and front ends already.

What you are talking about should have been covered in your training. I would be pissed. :evileye

Thanks guys. Yep they covered it in the training Daz but I wanted to make sure we had the correct technique as the premium boys left for the long drive back to Melbourne. It was a lot easier than I thought but still tricky as hell!! I know I'm not making much sense there!!

Its quite a learning curve, then just when you think you have the hang of it it bites you in the ass. probably 60% getting the film on, lined up and squeegeed out and 40% tucking and trimming.

Don't try to complete the bonnet installation in one hit.

when you have the main area squeegeed trim the edges so they have a half inch over hang.

spray with water squeegee flat again then walk away for at least 15mins then start rolling.

Would you recommend just highly cleaning the area the film needs to roll around and stick or can you apply some harder concentrated ISO mix or even straight water to flush any soapy mix that may be left prior to leaving the film to dry before the tuck?

Archived