matching privacy glass on 2014 Jeeps

HI Guys,

I'm curious to know what others are using to match privacy glass on the  front windows of these cars. I've been told 3M Black is the go from Cooltone.

Cot a customer that I had to redo the 2 fronts that had 2 little marks in them- was suntek carbon 22. I replaced it with HP Supreme 35 and did a top install. Next day he rings me and tells me he does not like the colour ?? I have been back 3 times to get this sorted and now he don't like the colour lmao, reckons it looks green. I will be changing it next week, but yeah, not overly happy with him.

It's on a Jeep Grand Cherokee by the way...

oh and I found out the hard way to never put tint on an aluminium wet wall that has been used for cutting tint. thats why the first install had marks in it. The tint must have been getting cut by the sharp raised edges. I had been trimming on this aluminium wet wall for a few weeks, so it had a lot of cut marks.

Now just do it on the car window with SS blades of course

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI Guys,

I'm curious to know what others are using to match privacy glass on the  front windows of these cars. I've been told 3M Black is the go from Cooltone.

Cot a customer that I had to redo the 2 fronts that had 2 little marks in them- was suntek carbon 22. I replaced it with HP Supreme 35 and did a top install. Next day he rings me and tells me he does not like the colour ?? I have been back 3 times to get this sorted and now he don't like the colour lmao, reckons it looks green. I will be changing it next week, but yeah, not overly happy with him.

It's on a Jeep Grand Cherokee by the way...

oh and I found out the hard way to never put tint on an aluminium wet wall that has been used for cutting tint. thats why the first install had marks in it. The tint must have been getting cut by the sharp raised edges. I had been trimming on this aluminium wet wall for a few weeks, so it had a lot of cut marks.

Now just do it on the car window with SS blades of course

Trimming on the car means it's only a matter of time before you etch the glass, ss blades or not. Cut on your peel board or your cutting table.

Trimming on aluminium? haven't heard of that one.

3M CS35 is about as black as it gets, but it will meter up at about 30vlt on most glass. Your call.

any suggestions for a peel board and cutting board ? I was using a piece of 4mm aluminium panel. same as they use in signwriting. I'm mobile as well.

Thanks for the advice on the 3M film. Customer is ok with not being legal.

Get in touch with PlasFab in Brissy or similar plastic provider and get them to cut you a suitable size piece of Perspex or similar that will fit in your van. Probably the best bet for mobile work.

If you are already a customer of Cooltone, get in touch with Brent and ask his advice, that guy is pretty switched on. :thumb

If you had cuts in the film I wouldn't be upset if the customer didn't like it. I wouldn't either.....

Any privacy glass I think it's important to look on the inside as well to find what the colour will be when looking out. Most darker than legal films have a charcoal privacy glass look. A customer "usually" can't tell the difference if you out 15 or 20 on two fronts with privacy glass. Where they will notice is if it looks quite different inside. Most cars I use carbon 15 from UltraGard it goes pretty well and has a brownie black inside, but some cars have a blue tone in the glass, can u get llumar?

Archived