Re-vamp the industry

...So maybe a national tv campaign to inform the public about cheap products and the danger of shopping for the cheapest film offered

Just use the opportunity you have when they are calling for a price to educate them.

The 99$ shops don't do that and that's what makes them so easy to compete against.

If all you are doing is giving a price when they call, you gave them no reason not to shop by price.

Give this a read: Making the Sale on the Phone

I actually read this awhile back and it really does work. I always educate customers to the full extent of my knowledge. I usually start with ceramic then back down to a dyed film if they seem to be really hesitant on the cost.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How a company prices a product is their right i have people come into the shop based on that price once in the door and they are educated properly and giving them better choices they always go with a better product that's marketing a network of quality shops and installed exist.Are you among them?

Again if you have a problem competing with a 99 tint shop maybe its in the sales i said we have our intro at this my average ticket is 3 times that so maybe you need to worry more about installing and let the marketing people do theirs we have no problems selling against those 99$ shops.

You're correct, it is the right of a company to price their product as they wish. No i do not have a problem selling film against a 99$ guy. we actually tint cars regularly for ten times that price. And if using a deceptive marketing ploy to get customers in your doors in the first place, are you any better than they are? Seems like if you are using the 99$ in your marketing to get people in, but sell and install just a bit higher price, it looks like you're just one step away from being a $99 tint shop.

The focus behind the idea is to remove the crap film from the equation. The crap film that they can turn a profit from. The film that lasts a year or two and blisters so bad that it turns the vehicle its installed on into a rolling hazard for the soccer mom with a van full of 6 yr. olds driving on the same roads. That same film will turn so many people off to the idea of window tint before they even have the chance to be correctly educated.

I'm not usually one to play Devils advocate.

(Not you Dev. [emoji651][emoji651][emoji651]..)

But wouldn't this just give manufacturers the opportunity to bump up their roll price for the same sub-standard stuff they've been making false claims about for years already? Ideals about quality manufacturing processes and raw materials only works IF the people making the decisions hold the same high level of ethics. But the fact is in most cases, they don't. They sell to the most common buyers within the target market (bottom feeders), and answer to share holders who care about Dividends, not quality.

I've personally spoken to decision makers like these who say, and I quote; "installers generally don't want to pay more than about 500 bucks a roll" (60") "there's just no demand for top of the range films."

I like what you're trying to do here, but I think you're preaching to the converted... Unless you can get the $99 boys to wake up to themselves, the only real option is a STRONG public awareness campaign that creates a consumer culture of "Dislike" for inferior quality products. A good place to start would be with clever social media engagement via cleverly worded Memes, or viral videos, along with endorsements from well known figures in the motor racing industry and associated fields.

If you can make the BUYERS sit up and listen, the rest of the players in the game will have no choice.

Most of the large manufacturers wouldnt have to change a thing as the already sell a good quality product. But yes, the guys producing sub par film would definitley have to raise prices. Thats where i see a gain for the industry as a whole by reducing the profitability of cheap pricing which will increase the average cost of a tint job. This could mean higher revenues for manufacturers and business owners and also higher pay for their employees. 

Wholesalers make their money by one way and that's shovelling film out the door at any cost and to anyone.

That is never going to change and therefore low ballers will always be supplied at the same cost as us professionals and that will keep them alive to whore the industry one day at a time. :trustme

Devil

Glass manufacturers void their warranty when tint is applied on their dual-pane or laminated glass.

This poses a long-term challenge to our trade as it will limit the bulk of our business to retrofitted windows.

Great idea. But the problem is the manufacturers. Meaning, they are so $ hungry thay they want to sell cheap standard film to those that chooose to operate at $99 a car.

I read the latest issue of the window films magazine this morning.

I see an emerging trend. For the first time, i noticed that (nearly)every manufacturer who advertised in that issue (be it big or small factories), provides long-time warranty or carry non-fading auto films. I suppose that they are referring to products of 10-years fading durability.

Everyone is producing more durable products now and when everyone is doing so, prices will come under pressure and customers will be expecting more (longer fading durability).

Why is it deception to have a marketing plan . I bet most of you shop at Wal Mart too.I don't like the cheap non performing films but they are a part of the industry.The U S market is so small why would they care when they sale 100 times mote product overseas of they banned winning hear it wouldn't case the world market at all . I sell what's available its up to me to educate my market and if i have to worry about competing with the border and then the prisons out here also tint ,i don't think offering an entry level to get them in door is deception its marketing not whining because they are out there.

I wanted to post in this thread before, but deleted my post.  Here is my opinion;

There can never be a "standard" of material used because you would limit competition.  You can only offer and sell what the market will bear.  Thats America!  Consider Wal-Mart.  Originally, they were a "mom and pop" shop.  They sold goods that were primarily made in the USA.  After opening up more locations for their goods and services, they decided to import cheaper products to give their customers a lower overall cost of goods.  Snowball effect, they jumped on the profit aspect of offering lower quality goods at a lower cost to the consumer.  This is by no means the fault of the owner of Wal-Mart but only to those who buy these cheap products, as they are in it to make a profit...and there is nothing wrong with that.  Consumers are to blame for buying the cheap product that they offer, and in turn keeps Wal-Mart profitable...as the market bears it.

For us, there will always be those that offer window tinting at a far lower price for what we might consider an inferior product.  Due to the competition of mfg's and names placed on a white box, it is simply up to you, and your reputation to continue repeat business based on the quality of the film, install, and reputation.  This is the key to your destiny in our market.  Forget what others are doing, and stop looking for some sort of bogus legislation to somehow try to benefit your company.

Archived