Tennessee tint law?

So basically it's a grey area, got it. She's wanting the whole thing tinted. if she shows up and it's straight fish bowl I'll do 35. If back is tinted will just see what she wants to do. I don't think any cop is going to check to see if it is after market tint on top of factory.

From what I understand, if a vehicle is tinted in your area, it needs to comply with the laws in the state IT IS TINTED IN.  If thats illegal in another state, you are not liable.  However, if she needs it to be legal as per her state law and is asking you to do so, then look at the IWFA state chart and tint accordingly, but you are not liable across state lines.

There are many pulled over in Louisiana for having 35% on the two fronts even if the vehicle was tinted legally here in Texas.  A "gray" area is only how you perceive it, hence why so many people say something different.

I'm not saying the above is true, as this is also how I perceive it, and what I was told.

Yeah what I'm getting at is the back though. I don't know about Tennessee but in NC I'd say about 8 out of 10 suvs or trucks come factory tinted around 26%. I've tinted over top of this for years and no one has ever came back for a ticket or inspection that couldn't pass. Even the ones with illegal on the front two have been pulled and from the dmv been told just had to strip the front. I feel like these laws apply to cars and not the others.

It's very, very gray. I tint in Sevierville, TN. According to tca 55-9-107, there's no provision for SUVs. Other literature such as iwfa's chart state that the rears on "multi purpose vehicles" are exempt. Obviously, factory privacy glass is legal no matter what, and if you put 15-20 on the back of a "clear" SUV, no one would pay attention because it looks factory.

All that being said, in 11 years of tinting in TN, I've never known of an SUV bring pulled over for the rears, even though local enforcement here seems to go by tca word for word, not iwfa. But they all ignore SUVs rears so keep the fronts legal and she'll be fine. :twocents

Archived