Tracing roll-downs on the table

I'd like to get more efficient at tracing the top edge and making it look perfect. I can do it, just at a snails pace or I end up with a little wave here and there or I cut a little too low and you know what happens there.

I've tried it with the good pattern both on the top and bottom of the one that's being cut, not sure what I like better. I've tried it with my Olfa extended and also with it out a click.

How do you all do it?

Please don't suggest double cutting, I'm not a fan even though it's not a bad idea for those who prefer it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that helps me out is going from the small portion of the window to the big portion. For some reason the film tends to flare out at the big portion. Doing this you can keep your hand on the film and keep it laid down. Also i like to spray the edge right before cutting helps me glide better. Keep the blade the same angle.

Thanks for the vids Rjsi, however if I were to double cut, I would definitely have liner out on the top piece. Im surprised that both of these videos suggested otherwise. And the 2nd one's method of cutting the sides, doesn't sit well with me. But other than that, they were pretty familiar.

I can double cut if it came down to it, but here's a couple scenarios.

I do a lot of F250s/350s for the local utility district and like to keep a pattern for them to precut.

Also, say I mess up a roll down during install, it's nice to be able to take it to the table and just trace a new one.

I can cut 4 roll downs and 2 quarters in about 20-25 minutes without hurrying, but would like to broaden my knowledge for easy tracing.

Coast- my typical way is similar to yours, except ill trace the sides and bottom if needed, then take the 2nd piece to the vehicle to slice off the top. Then to the table, clean up the corners, then install.

Archived