Successful installs with Pro Series?

Hmmm. Will report my findings. I tested it on a white xc90 hood for training... That would explain my lack of visual evidence, I'm assuming.

Doing 2014 Touareg precut hood and fenders, bulk mirrors, bumper and step plates. Don't know what colour, but packing XPEL ultimate as a just- in-casey. Car will be dropped off for the day so I can fart around with it for a good long time.

Thanks for the info, protectmyvehicle.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Job done on the Touareg. Looked comparable to XPEL Ultimate, possibly better. Chews through blades though. Slight glue texture upon stretching it, limited to the bumper bulk install. I do all bumpers bulk-style. Hood and fenders were precut. Fyi, it does NOT track well in my 2 year old Graphtec.

How do I post pics on here? Took pics of the few issues that arose.

Haven't had much time to post, since I've been busy installing. I have 12 years experience and installed everything from Avery top coat to old scotch guard (using a steamer) Xpel, Suntek, and everything else.

Here's my professional opinion....

1 you can't rate a new film based on installing one hood or small sample

2 everyone has growing pains when something new is introduced (look at Apple and Microsoft).

3 have an open mind and be flexible with your technique, it's going to change as cars change and products change.

So I started using scotch guard pro right after they introduced it. I'm now use distilled water for my 2 bottles (I'm still old school on this). I have successfully used over 14 rolls of the stuff. Yes the first 3-4 cars I had issues with and had some redos... I did not install on customers cars ( family and friends are handy). After my first roll, I was able to change my installation technique and produce flawless installs on any color car.

I like it better than the other films on the market because.....

The gloss is great equal or better to suntek or xpel

Stretching is easy.

Adhesive is semi forgiving and stretch marks can be pulled back and reset.

3m is easier to market to consumers over other companies.

Some of us would like the opportunity to try this film but after broken promises time and time again have all but given up.

We've actually started to believe the film was totally invisible.

You state you've installed 14 rolls....which one? gen 1? or gen 2?

As I'm lead to believe the adhesives been changed once already.  

How many people have actually installed the Pro Series with success? I've heard a lot of detractors, but in my brief experience with it, I found it a helluva lot easier to install than 848. I'm starting to field customer inquiries about it, so I'd like to know what I can ahead of actually installing it for paying clientele.

I have successfully installed Scotchgard Pro. I used the newest version.they had it at 2014 IWFA in Baltimore and a installer placed 3rd with the newest version of Pro Series.

As with most products and ppf films changes are made. The new film is completely different from Scotchgard (gen 3) it won't yellow, softer film, no orange peel and easier to handle, crosscut low profile (visible edge where film stops)

There is a learning curve as far as solutions, squeegees and install techniques. seasoned installers can adapt.Depending on what you currently install. If you install current Scotchgard then you will like the fact that the film just falls into place.

Scotchgard gen 3 is still available and this is not replacing. It is just a newer and better film with longer warranty

60" rolls are real I saw it with my own eyes!!!!!

How many people have actually installed the Pro Series with success? I've heard a lot of detractors, but in my brief experience with it, I found it a helluva lot easier to install than 848. I'm starting to field customer inquiries about it, so I'd like to know what I can ahead of actually installing it for paying clientele.

I have successfully installed Scotchgard Pro. I used the newest version.they had it at 2014 IWFA in Baltimore and a installer placed 3rd with the newest version of Pro Series.

As with most products and ppf films changes are made. The new film is completely different from Scotchgard (gen 3) it won't yellow, softer film, no orange peel and easier to handle, crosscut low profile (visible edge where film stops)

There is a learning curve as far as solutions, squeegees and install techniques. seasoned installers can adapt.Depending on what you currently install. If you install current Scotchgard then you will like the fact that the film just falls into place.

Scotchgard gen 3 is still available and this is not replacing. It is just a newer and better film with longer warranty

60" rolls are real I saw it with my own eyes!!!!!

Bedhead:

Thanks! I've since installed version one, and I am a Scotchgard installer for 11 years now. You're right, it's easy to adapt if you're used to Scotchgard.

I get my first look at Pro Series version two today (looking forward to it). Very happy to hear that the 60" rolls are underway; Venture just doesn't match up against XPEL Ultimate...

Has Pro Series been officially launched yet where you are?

Pro3

I have installed Gen 1 and 60" gen 2. If you place the two films side by side you will notice a "frosty" look to the adhesive on the Gen 2 film while Gen 1 is clear. I also noticed the Gen 2 adhesive is more aggressive helping keep fingers down.

Thoughts on the 60"..... I like the adhesive, but it can be difficult to unroll on the hood if you are installing solo. I hope they make the liner stiffer to help solve this issue.

Pro3

I have installed Gen 1 and 60" gen 2. If you place the two films side by side you will notice a "frosty" look to the adhesive on the Gen 2 film while Gen 1 is clear. I also noticed the Gen 2 adhesive is more aggressive helping keep fingers down.

Thoughts on the 60"..... I like the adhesive, but it can be difficult to unroll on the hood if you are installing solo. I hope they make the liner stiffer to help solve this issue.

Yes the glue has changed, as well as liner. If you noticed the first run of film fell off liner and now you have to pull a little more. Top coat is the same and it is super clear and resistant to stains. We have found that half of the alcohol and twice as much soap for slip has worked well. Also, a softer turbo like black turbo responds best!!!! It is lower on durometer then yellow. Installers are using one bottle, two bottle and gel. Just don't stretch as much as regular Gen 3 SG. Distilled water has responded best.

One Bottle mix 20oz (distilled water) 4-5oz 70% alcohol and 4 mililiters of J&J (2 squirts)

Two Bottle mix distilled water and 4 mililiters J&J then 70% alcohol cut and half with water

Gel of choice

Just a baseline. Try and adjust to preference!

Archived