Bloody contamination! :@

your doing all the right things, except peeling off dirty cars, dragging the film from the board to glass and shrinking before cutting, reverse rolling the rear screen etc. etc.

im pretty sure i could watch you tint and point out flaws in your technique from the very start.

Why? because it took me longer than 3 days to tint.

i can appreciate your going about it the right way and not trying to already take shortcuts but looking for further ways to improve your technique, which is good. 

But in all honesty you dont really have a technique to improve. your way too young to be a tinter, a 3 day course? come on mate, did you really think it would be that easy?

dont give up by any means. but please dont expect to be able to produce good installs off the bat.

i would most probably buy a door from a wrecker and work on trying to get that clean. once you have this down then work on something else, maybe shrinking side doors.

How long would it take to become a great tinter? your whole life, with supervision and mentoring. 

if you went to a shop and learned from someone good, maybe 6 months and then id start doing cars.....

good luck though, by all means keep the quality attitude, this isnt meant to belittle yourself, but to bring you back to reality. Changing the way you install your rear screen isnt going to help, start from the bottom then work your way across, like every good installer has to do in every trade or service requiring a skill. Tinting, is not a DIY job.

Dont DIY until you can competently DIY

Thanks. appreciate the help.

I don't expect it to be easy, hence me "writing off" about £400 roll of tint so far to do friends/families cars for free to gain experience. 

Going to apply all the things peoples have mentioned in here tomorrow on a couple of cars, i'll report back and let you know how it goes!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I don't yet have a transfer board, or a cutting table, so i am just cutting off the roll and then placing the tint straight onto the glass to shrink, it probably does catch on the table etc"

What table is it catching on??????

Welcome to the Wide ,World of tinting!!! :D 

I dont use a peel board, and i get clean installs. The more experienced you become, the cleaner your work will become. Just clean everything really good.

For instance when a car rolls into the shop, i spray down the whole thing twice and dry it.

:yeah  -----------> It's knowing what to look out for and what to prepare for , and that boys and girls IS an art in itself ,coalesced through experience.

People that watch me tint, and I was guilty of this when I was watching a previous tinter tint, assume it LOOKS so easy. But little do they know that every single motion, from start to finish is a choreographed procedure to produce a clean install, that took me well over a year and a half to fully work out. Even now it changes somewhat, as new cars and new windows come out. Best of luck to you.

I am also having slight contamination issues. Only been at it a year now and every tint job I learn something new. My contamination always shows on side roll ups. My rear windows are usually very clean using the reverse roll.

I haven't done an install on the golf yet, i was waiting for the suntek film to arrive, but no doubt will be lol.

Hi Strothow 

are you still getting contamination on the golf hatch ? 

J

Just you said the first car was a golf and a real PITA , so bit confused what you have or are trying to tint 

I am also having slight contamination issues. Only been at it a year now and every tint job I learn something new. My contamination always shows on side roll ups. My rear windows are usually very clean using the reverse roll.

Edges on Roll ups need to be as clean as possible, i remove door cards too and also flush the edges, sometimes there may be a speck of contam if so bit of heat and a pop stick soon sort that out 

Edges on Roll ups need to be as clean as possible, i remove door cards too and also flush the edges, sometimes there may be a speck of contam if so bit of heat and a pop stick soon sort that out

Explain this Popsicle stick method?

Archived