First time advice please

Hey everybody i am brand new to tinting and i could please use a little advice for tinting car windows. I got the basics and am not horrible for a beginner but i am unsure of how to know how or when to shift the tint when hand cutting the film. Ive seen People move it forward a little or back a little or both. How do you determine if the window shifts and how do you make perfect cuts for this. Is this an important thing to know or are just doing this so there is enough room to tuck the film. This is the only part im really confused about. Any advice please!! Thank you!

I'll give it a shot. If really having that hard of a time cutting roll up windows, you may want to consider using a marker. Place the film on the outside of the glass and lock it down so it doesn't slide around. Use your marker like you would a knife and mark the edges. Next cut you top edge with your olfa knife. After that, transfer the film to a glass peel board and cut your sides slightly larger than the marks made with your marker. Just make sure when cutting the patterns the window is all the way up. Hope this helps. If not, well maybe someone else can explain something better. Good luck! [emoji106]

I suggest practicing what I call "your targeting skills".  When moving to your window for install, spot your area you need to hit in the corner area and try to hit that spot exactly and let the tint fall into place.  It's hard to explain, but once you get used to placement, you won't have to shift your film very much.  

Also, when you have to shift your film because of bad placement.  Make sure you have your slip solution correct or it won't "slip" properly.  To thin of a mixture and it will tack up to quickly and won't slip.  To much of mixture and it will slip to much and move around while you are squeegeeing. 

Hope this helps and good luck to you  :beer 

Thank you for the advice. Today i was working on a lincoln navigator and i just could not get the cuts right. Then first time was about 3 inches above the bottom seal! I think i didnt tack the window down before i rolled it down to cut the top and the tint stayed in place on the roll down instead of moving with the window. Anyone else make that mistake? I just need to get in a rhythm and practice on many different cars.

Yes I've had that happen. And it sux.

Here's how I do it.

Spray glass

Place film on window factory edge down, below bottom gasket as much as necessary.

Cut vertically on front side.

Shift it forward about 3/8 inch.

Make my back vertical cut.

Shift back about 3/16.

Now you should have about 3/16 on both sides overlapping.

Spray outside of film.

Squeegee it down.

Now I roll down 1/4 of the way.

Cut top edge.

Pull film off and round my four corners.

Spray glass again.

Put film on glass couple inches above bottom seal.

Squeegee out the top working my fingers to the bottom.

Shrink bottom edge.

Lift and shrink again.

Ready to install.

Archived