kpmf vinyl full wrap

I did my first full vinyl wrap using kmpf  and I found it extremely difficult :)

Im a ppf and window film guy but a friend purchased a truck and wanted it done so I said I would try it. I can wrap a vehicle with ppf with minimal troubles...this job was the opposite. He was happy with the results but I was not.

I pictured it being a bit easier with some heat and stretching but found myself using the heat gun all the time and stretching the film even on pieces that were quite flat with minimal contour. I used 150 micron kpmf vinyl. The question I have is did I select a good quality film and thickness? This stuff was extremely tacky so once it made contact with paint pulling back was tough, it tore very easy and it creased all the time. Similar color by 3M was triple in price so maybe that was my clue. If its the experience I am lacking and training then I will accept that but if its wrong product I used maybe someone can give me feedback. Any feedback on different brand materials or thicknesses would be appreciated. Thanks

A lesser quality material definitely adds to the difficulty. Get your hands on some 3M 1080 or Avery Supreme. We even noticed a difference using Avery over 3M and switched to Avery only. Anything that increases install time and ease of install is worth paying for. If a lesser quality material takes you longer to install then the money people think they saved has been chewed up in extra labour, not to mention cussing and cursing. Cant say i have heard of kpmf either?

As far as Vinyl and PPF go, they are almost opposite to install. If you are looking at doing it more often then definitely get onto a course, there is also the online resource of the wrap institue. Heat and stretching should be used as little as possible and only when needed, as you can imagine when you heat and stretch you are also stretching the adhesive so keeping this at a minimum is optimal. All your doors, bonnets, roofs etc shouldnt need any heat, stretching it taught whilst cold on to the panel to get what they call 'glass' is the way to go.

Could go on for days with tips but practice makes perfect and have some fun with it, you definitely need patience! you will soon learn you can earn half as much doing PPF in one day then you do in few days or a week in vinyl e.g full frontal in a day doing PPF would be comparable to what you would earn wrapping half a car in 3-4 days....

OP's story has me wondering if he used sign vinyl rather than wrap vinyl.....

I'd recommend he go to  a wrap training course before attempting it again.

What was the part number of the product used? That would tell us a lot about what happened.

Thanks for the feedback Supreme. It makes total sense to buy good quality wrap to experience less headaches like I did. I will be doing this again so next time Avery it is. I really don't recommend KPMF to anyone is it was like working with 3 mil cheap signage vinyl.

Wearthefoxhat- it is vehicle wrap as I just checked their website but it did feel like working with sign vinyl.

P/N K89919 Anthracite Matt Vehicle wrap.

Hope they offer a course here in Calgary as I will look into it.

Thanks

Archived