Madico Film Question

Hey guys,

I really would like some advice.  I took my car (2012 Subaru Legacy) into the dealership yesterday because when I rolled down the driver's side window, the interior weatherstripping trim piece was binding and rolling down with the window.  I've had the car since new, as well as the window tint, and never had an issue until know.  Additionally, the other 3 windows work perfectly fine.  My tinter uses Madico film (I believe charcoal).  

Anyway, prior to going into Subaru, I had NO scratches on the driver's side window.  I showed this to the service advisor, and specifically told him (which he wrote on the service tech's sheet as well) NOT to scratch the window tint.

Well, I get my car back, and I have about 5 horizontal scratches that go from side to side of my driver's side window.  I also have one vertical scratch in the middle of the window that goes from top to bottom.  At this point, I was extremely mad and went in to complain.  Of course, the service manager wasn't there.  I then left a message for him via e-mail and phone.  I also left a message with Subaru of America.  

I talked to my window tinter, and he told me it would probably run about $60 to take off the current tint and re-tint the window.  I didn't want to absorb this cost, so I kept pressing the matter.

This morning, I received a call form the service manager.  I explained what happened, and he told me that it scratched because it was "too thick of a film".  Is Madico thicker than all the others?  I swear I've heard this NUMEROUS times when window motors/regulators fail.  Anyway, I was then offered a full synthetic oil change and tire rotation in place of the window tint cost.  That works for me.  

So, here's my question, HOW do I prevent future window scratches?  I felt inside my weather stripping on the inside and outside of the window and it feels like there is felt there.  However, I have no clue how that vertical scratch got there, and now I am concerned.

Are there any tint companies that warranty against scratches?  I know my tinter does not.  

Which tint brand is the most scratch resistant?  I have to stick with Madico right now because my other 3 windows are tinted with it, but I'm worried that I might get scratches if the moron didn't install something right.  Obviously the horizontal scratches were negligence, but the vertical one scares me.

If it were to scratch (new tint), how many times would it take rolling it up and down for it to happen?

Thanks all!

First of all, unless they installed a 21mil thick film (which even that is ok) no film is too thick for it scratch, it scratched because someone scratched or your installer scratched with his tools pressing out water. So if it was not scratched prior to dealership then they should take care of it for you. Some film companies (not us) offer a no fault warranty, i dont think madico offers that ( I dont speak for them) . Tell dealership to fix or else :thumb

First of all, unless they installed a 21mil thick film (which even that is ok) no film is too thick for it scratch, it scratched because someone scratched or your installer scratched with his tools pressing out water. So if it was not scratched prior to dealership then they should take care of it for you. Some film companies (not us) offer a no fault warranty, i dont think madico offers that ( I dont speak for them) . Tell dealership to fix or else :thumb

I don't believe that Madico offers a no fault warranty, at least not that I know of.  Doesn't tint often scratch from going up and down if something in the door is rubbing against the window, and or dirt/debris is in the weather stripping?

How is Madico's scratch resistance compared to the other films?

Is there any way to prevent scratching, and I just had the driver's side door panel off and a new interior window trim piece (weather stripping that goes up against the inside of the glass).  Is there anything I should inspect on that before having tint re-applied?

Thanks much!

I'm guessing there was a grain of dirt/sand or some type of debris in the weather strip scratching the film. May have fallen in there at the dealership. Who knows. I tint tons of legacy's and do know that the weatherstripping is very loose and not known for scratching film. At least I haven't seen it before.

Side to side scratches are usually caused by the installer's tools. 

Up and down, especially if they are in a perfect line are caused by something in the molding. 

If your other windows are doing it I would have them replace it and move on. 

The thickness is not an issue. Most products are made around 1.25-1.5 mil thickness. Basically most tinting products for cars are all pretty close to the same. 

I'm not a Madico fan since they merged with another manufacturer, but Im sure the scratch coat is good enough. 

Your installer should replace it at no charge. He should be able to work it our with his supplier, although one window worth of material does not cost much to replace. 

Good luck to you. Subaru is making a real nice car lately. Enjoy! 

Hugh 

The window has been re-tinted. I am just waiting the few days before I roll it down now.  The interior weather stripping rubber molding has been replaced.  It has what feels like a felt strip on the inside portion, so hopefully I don't get any scratches in my new tint!

Most customers that come into the shop dont know about silicone or plastic polish. Its used to prevent oxidation over the years actually, but it is a lubricant to a degree as well. The high quality grades won't smear and usually advertise that they are good for hard shiny surfaces or glazing. The best ones are a better replacement for a car detail spray.

Archived