Exterior Film for a Track Car

I've got a Ferrari 458 Speciale that the guy likes to take out on the track. I've put ppf on his full front end, and now he wants to put a film on the outside of his windshield. I tried heat shrinking a piece of llumar GCL and that just failed miserably. I got it close then it just wouldn't form in the top corners and burnt a hole in it.

I'm tempted to just put a piece of ppf on his windshield since its a track car anyway. Was wondering if you guys had any suggestions first.

No he wants film on the outside of his windshield to protect his windshield from rock chips on the outside of his glass. Its a track car and a 250 thousand dollar track car at the he wants his windshield protected from rock chips.

I just put a test piece of llumar ppf and a test piece of xpel ultimate on it. The llumar is way more optically clear but it has some distortion when you move your head around.

The clearplex is basically a 4mil AG film to be honest. If you don't want to waste the coin in practicing or attempting the windsheild before you get the shrink down then throw some 4mil AG on there and have at it. 

As far as its "user friendliness" as anything it's patience. Let the heat do the work for you and watch the film react. If you haven't tried "trapping" or hot pocketing film while shrinking then you should probably try that, as it will not abuse the film as much in terms of heat. Most of the success in this application and process will be your cut. You gotta shrink the film as much as you can to your edge for your final cut then shrink whats left. Since it's to protect the windshield you need to cover end to end so it's not gonna be like your traditional window film cut for application. even if it's slightly overlapped you should be fine depending how well your prep work is. 

Clearplex is a great film to protect the windshield though, it takes a good beating as we have had some clients come back to show us what their windshields look like after a few visits at the track. Some like to replace it just because they can toss the money for it. 

Does llumar have a 4mil automotive film? I know they used to have that one film called suv but im pretty sure they discontinued it. Like I said I tried shrinking a piece of gcl 4mil and there was no way it was going to lay. I'll have to prolly put the the llumar ppf on there just for protections sake. I already told him I can for sure do that. I'll have to look into this clearplex a little more though.

Most succeed in shaping thick films using the wet method, slow and steady. You can actually see the film move like the blob in an old horror movie, but the key is not to continually hammer an area with heat.

Polyester actually expands under constant heat and will shrink at the cool down phase or as you move away. This can be witnessed with 4-mil. Heat an area and back off only to see the film begin moving in a shrinking fashion.

I have heat formed 8-mil to a Jag XK BG so 4-mil would be a cake-walk.

11-mil and up is the real challenge!  :lol

Archived