My 1988 Toyota mr2 has a really awful paint job. Probably 50% of the cleercoat is gone and there's a lot of spray paint on it. Some areas have bondo covered up by spray paint. I want to wrap it with 3m 1080 series matte metalic blue vinyl wrap because I can't afford a paint job and I don't have the skills to paint it on my own. I have a friend who has done wrap before who is helping me do it. I am concerned that the vinyl won't adhere well to the cruddy paint it has now. Any suggestions as to how to get a good base for the vinyl without repainting it?

My 1988 Toyota mr2 has a really awful paint job. Probably 50% of the cleercoat is gone and there's a lot of spray paint on it. Some areas have bondo covered up by spray paint. I want to wrap it with 3m 1080 series matte metalic blue vinyl wrap because I can't afford a paint job and I don't have the skills to paint it on my own. I have a friend who has done wrap before who is helping me do it. I am concerned that the vinyl won't adhere well to the cruddy paint it has now. Any suggestions as to how to get a good base for the vinyl without repainting it?

How old is this car? It may not be worth the time and material to wrap it.

If the surface of the car is not "dead flat" surface blemishes will likely show through the vinyl.

I'd suggest getting a few feet of film and installing on the worst areas to confirm you will even be happy with the results .

Be warned that vinyl may pull paint especially in areas where there have been repairs!

Get a photobucket account and post up some pics of the car before during and after your progress to help others with your issue.

Hey Ric or a  mod can you combine his other post with this one ??

It's an 88 so its old. My plan is to sand everything down so there is no blemishes and its really smooth. My question is what is the best way to get the wrap to adhere to the sanded surface? (And I'm not concerned with damaging the paint it has now. It's far gone. This is just temporary until I can have a professional paint job done.)

3473850060_large.jpg

14955_Toyota_MR2_128529273684028750.JPG

16050460_large.jpg

Biggest trouble I see in wrapping  an 88MR2 will be all the "detail" work around the lower front bumper grille area, the side vents and maybe the spoiler.

If it were mine I would put some effort into keeping the metal looked after and rust free as possible and not waste time and money on wrapping if going to have it painted later anyway.

Well when I say I'm having it painted, its not gonna be for a solid 2 or 3 years. I was thinking about just wraping it and then once the vinyl starts to fade I would look into a paint job. I thought it would be a cool little project and I want it to look nice for car shows and stuff but I just don't have the money for a paint job. I figured out that the materials should cost between 200$ and 250$. I just want to know what the best way of approaching this is.

3M's Matte Metallic Blue is a great colour.

Not my HHR but it is a colour I was looking to do on mine.

391EDFB7-ACB8-458D-AC52-BD1039E7E472_zps

2C6A639C-560A-4CFC-968F-6670601103FB_zps

Please take a good look at how "smooth" the HHR contours are compared to your MR2.

Notice the seam under the headlight in the detail shot?

You are going to have  a ton of detail work like that to deal with on your MR2 . May be a few bucks in material but Tons of labour to get it to look awesome

Yeah it's gonna be a TON of work but to get that beautiful finish is gonna be worth it. I plan on using my friends garage to prevent any contamination because I want it to be perfect and I don't want to do it in my driveway outside. That's why I've been searching my a*@ off on how I should prep the bad paint for the best finish.

Archived