Avoiding light gap or contamination around window hinge bolts

If this does happen, there is a good quick fix for this which customers have been very happy with. you take a knife and cut right up to the strut forming a circle, and then you take the knife and make a second larger circle up to the point where it covers any and all twisting. You then remove that small section and then painted with a top-quality class black paint in that section. It saves you from a God awful job of removing a perfectly fine tint job otherwise. i've done this for customers that have approached me with good Tint jobs that had the scenario done from other companies and they are grateful for the quick fix that looks good for a few dollars rather than charging them hundreds of dollars for a complete redo

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never seen the black silicone or black paint around the bolt holes, Does anyone have a pic of this? In the past I have always removed the strut bolt and then heated the crap out of the tint so I can install it again but still its a 50/50 if it spirals.

No way will I tint behind the buttons. Have seen way too many times where the film actually spirals because of that. I have a older escape coming in a couple of weeks for a r&r that was done that way. I'll share pics when it comes in.

That can be avoided by making sure you heat the film nice and warm around the bolt in area. If you don't then the film will start to spiral while tightening due to the fact it hasn't cured.

Ocala is right. Even if you heat the film to lock it down initially, in time the stress you put on the film will show in a spiral.

Particularly if its a gas strut pushing on the film. Keep the film clear of the tab.

I black vinyl the light gap after everything is put back together if it is an obvious gap....and if I am getting paid enough...and if I can be bothered. :lol

this. it will def. cause problems especially since those bolts sometimes pivot. i did my sunroof panel and it had buttons for the hinges and lock and they made the film spiral over time. i even made sure it was completely dry before installing too.

Archived