Help me choose

I'm taking delivery of a new Porsche Macan next week and I'm going to have PPF installed on it promptly. I've have vehicle with PPF installed on them before, however, they were both earlier generation products. There are several installers in my area who are reputable. I have read a TON about the different films and it seems as though when it comes to the high end films the differences are fairly minor. Ha I g said that, here is my one huge pet peeve with PPF - orange peel. My car will have beautiful smooth paint and I want a film that matches that. I can't find a good video or still images that compare the films orange peel characteristics head to head against smooth paint.

So, my question to you guys is: what film is the smoothest with the least orange peel? I'm only doing a partial hood and I want the finish difference from the film to hood to be as imperceptible as possible. I'm leaning towards Xpel or Clearshield with 3M Pro Series as a hark horse unknown that I am intrigued by.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3m pro series is the smoothest looking film to me IMO but it is so tricky to install , usually there will be flaws. Xpel ultimate I second in the smooth category but installation using there installation gel makes things so easy. I would also be looking for xpel patterns off there DAP program if I were you.

I would go with a full hood over just the partial using XPEL. If you are already worried about orange peel then you will be more upset with the edge of the film going across that new Porsche's hood. Note the Macan can be done in a single piece without seams too but its not easy. 

Plenty of folk who can do macan full hood

Easy one to bulk as well

Drawback on this car is how flimsy the hood is

A film that has too much bite on the adhesive could deform the hood when film is removed

Hope it goes well for you

Good luck

I've been told the the widest roll available (from any manufacturer) is 60". The Macan hood if you were going sideways would need a 64" wide roll to cover with no seams. Can you tell me which manufacturer makes a film roll over 60" wide?

My primary candidate for installation won't even do a full hood on the Macan (even with seams at the back) because of exactly the issue you describe @Tango2. That's why I decided to go with the 30" pattern from Proform. It's the only one alive seen that covers the entire light opening.

Archived