Got the back glass I have been looking for.....

Shrinking towards the factory edge means as you unroll the film looking at the box the left and right side are factory edges. You're already doing that. Otherwise you wouldn't have the film on the glass. Well that is until you learn how to shrink to the sides.

Certified Surgical First Asst for Orthopeadics of Indy. Asst w about 80 surgeries a month. Lots of total joints, pelvic reconstruction and sports med.

Little help needed here with the joints I've got.  :lol

Nice job on that BG. Props!  :thumb

Just a FYI... 'the grain' is tinter terminology for what is known as 'machine direction' (or MD), which runs parallel to factory edge. Perpendicular to MD is the 'transverse direction' (or TD), which is also known as 'across the web'. The majority of shrinking requires film placement with MD running horizontal across the glass and film excess moved to top and bottom for the heat form process. There are few exceptions to this rule of thumb. 

Then of course there is what jh refers to, shrinking the sides. That is definitely a skill above the shrinking you are mastering now because film shrinks in the TD direction at an extremely small fraction of the amount achieved in the MD. 

Certified Surgical First Asst for Orthopeadics of Indy. Asst w about 80 surgeries a month. Lots of total joints, pelvic reconstruction and sports med.

Little help needed here with the joints I've got.  :lol

Nice job on that BG. Props!  :thumb

Just a FYI... 'the grain' is tinter terminology for what is known as 'machine direction' (or MD), which runs parallel to factory edge. Perpendicular to MD is the 'transverse direction' (or TD), which is also known as 'across the web'. The majority of shrinking requires film placement with MD running horizontal across the glass and film excess moved to top and bottom for the heat form process. There are few exceptions to this rule of thumb. 

Then of course there is what jh refers to, shrinking the sides. That is definitely a skill above the shrinking you are mastering now because film shrinks in the TD direction at an extremely small fraction of the amount achieved in the MD. 

Gotcha.  That breaks it down nice.  Would be nice to know how to shrink the sides.  I have had a few small spots I have shrunk out on a back glass on the sides before, but could not tell you how I did it....lol.  I try to always stretch that to the top and shrink TD like you were stating.

Archived