Vinyl on Dot Matrix

heat the glass really good first and then put the vinyl on with window film slip, then squeeg with a yellow or soft squeeg. Heating the glass is the biggest trick I haven't seen spoken of here. It softens the vinyl and keeps it soft while you work and the vinyl will get in between the dots really well with no lifting.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no heating up the glass here either, but I don't use any alcohol/slip solution. I use the same stuff as I tint with. Lay it down with a yellow squeeg. Zero white spots. Oh yeah, tint first, then lay the vinyl. The tint is much thinner than the vinyl, and by using the HP vinyl, it conforms to obstacles (dots, tint line, etc.) much better and you can't even see where the tint stops.

Guest expertint

We tint first then use the cutoff piece for a template but we can't get by without a pantie line showing..Know what I mean guys..That is what thong underware is for.

I'll have to try the oracal 851 stuff...I'm not even sure of the vinyl I use now..its my 3 box 100 yarder....I do sometimes get the panty line thing but if it is a hot day I'll put it outside a couple hours and the held in moisture evaporates and I can usually get id down by pullin My finger nail over it.....and the panty line...(I love that to funny).is way better than film IMO...I think one thin line at the top is better than the white haze wher the film wont touch the glass on the matrix...and paint...I still got about 40 cars left in my vinyl box so that is what they get for now.... :thumb:lol

Guest SQUEEGEE
vinyl looks good, easy to install, don't have to listen to mustang owners complain, and you get to add an additional $35 to the bill.  :shock what could be better?

I can sand the dots then glue and the customer is happy. I sell the vinyl as the only permanent solution for the matrix. I only upsell $15-$20 for it though.

Don't get many vinyl takers as many of my customers are referrals and know I can take care of the matrix in most cases w/out vinyl.

Archived