Hey all, new guy here.  My name is Brayden and I'm from Utah.

I've been lurking around TintDude for a few months now and a figured it's time to make an account and become part of the community.

I'm very new to the world of automotive window tinting, but I hold MECP basic certification and have a 12 volt background.  About a year ago I started buying pre cut film on eBay and caught the bug.  I soon got sick of the terrible film quality, as well as ruining patterns and not being able to finish the vehicle.  A local tinter convinced me that I needed to begin hand cutting, so I picked up some American Standard Window Film and I've been working on that the last 6 months or so.

Besides a few tips from local professionals, I'm 100% self taught.  YouTube has been an excellent resource for me, and I've spent countless hours watching and studying the techniques of professionals.  There's something about the challenge of tinting that really intrigues me so I'm doing my best to learn all I can about the skill and the industry.

I just graduated from school and have a 9-5 job I can't afford to walk away from right now.  But as my skills increase overtime I would definitely be interested in tinting as a full time gig.  I know there's a lot of money to be made if you put out quality work.  I spoke with a local shop owner who sort of offered me a shot, but he was only paying $300/week + a small commission on each job (can't remember the exact number).  I simply couldn't afford that pay cut so decided to pass.  I would also be required to do flat glass installs, which I really have no desire to do.  I am an car enthusiast and would much rather spend my time improving my skills on automotive.  But I do realize, "beggers can't be choosers" when seeking employment.

I'm a huge tool nerd, and we've all heard "a craftsman is only as good as his tools", so of course I had to place a big order from 44tools.com for vast variety of tools.  Now that i'm using "professional grade" tools I've seen the quality of my work improve.  It's awesome how affordable tools are for this trade!  I'm used to paying Snap On prices for hand tools so it was not hard at all to place a good size order for tint tools.  I can't believe I used to tint without a yellow turbo, silver olfa, or an ez reach!

Anyways, sorry for the novel guys.  I just wanted to give a proper introduction and thank you all for allowing me to join your community of professionals!  I'm having some trouble figuring out how to insert images into my post.. Maybe someone can give me pointers there.  

- Brayden

Nice introduction. Biggest thing I disagree with is not getting into flat glass. I know some guys choose that route and they're wrong also :lol good luck in the industry it can be a hard road to travel but well worth it.

Welcome!

Do not limit your self to auto. That guy that has a shiny new _________ may have earned it running some kind of business that can benefit from Solar /Security/cut graphics and wraps.

You want to be his go to guy for EVERYTHING film related.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I'm definitely open to learning more about flat glass, don't get me wrong.  If an opportunity ever presents itself I will jump on it.

Is there any forum vendors that offer discounts on film or tools?  Just curious because there's a few odds and ends I still want to pick up.

I just picked up this Harbor Freight 12" tool tote and it works awesome for doing mobile stuff!

post-41236-0-04455600-1462309836_thumb.j

Guest temonunez26

Dude if you have a decent paying gig. I would forget about tinting. Your never gonna make it. Ugh, realistically its a mix bag. A big problem with the industry now is the you tube videos. ...a lot of people are learning it thus saturating the market and in turn it drives pay down. Im in SoCal its flooded with tint shops. The most youll get is 120 150 a day Which is nothing. Ive never seen an industry with so little structure. I mean everybody gets paid different. With minimum wage coming up soon it wont be worth doing the job cus you'll get paid equally or more at McDonalds

Guest temonunez26

In my experience its a sweatshop business. Where the owners and salesman walk away with all the money and the installers are treated like doormats. GoodLuck

Dude if you have a decent paying gig. I would forget about tinting. Your never gonna make it. Ugh, realistically its a mix bag. A big problem with the industry now is the you tube videos. ...a lot of people are learning it thus saturating the market and in turn it drives pay down. Im in SoCal its flooded with tint shops. The most youll get is 120 150 a day Which is nothing. Ive never seen an industry with so little structure. I mean everybody gets paid different. With minimum wage coming up soon it wont be worth doing the job cus you'll get paid equally or more at McDonalds

Thanks for the positive words... 

I'm not really in it to make a living.  And if I did I would be pretty broke considering it takes me about 4-5 hours to do a sedan.  I'm perfectly content just doing this on the side in my garage.  

Sorry to hear that competition in your area has caused you to become bitter towards others learning the skill.  You could make 120 per car if you were to do your own thing.  But until then you'll have to put up with "sweatshop" pay.

Thanks for your insights though.

Archived