Cleaning routine getting tuned in

Well, I redid the passenger roll downs on my buddies '10 Corolla S.  I had done it a while back and have since improved my routine and things I have added to get cleaner installs.  I redid both in 45 min.  Stuck to a routine I have been thinking about a while and getting the steps down in my head.  Backed the car out of the garage to check in the sun (saw Jimmy do that on a post once and started realizing how many windows I could have made look better had I done that right off), knocked out some small specs with my finger and they looked really good.  Think I am on to something here....lol.  One of those moments you get your motivation back after beating yourself up.  I also redid his driver quarter to match the passenger.  I must've marked a scrap piece wrong or something and did his passenger in a 5% on the quarter so I matched the driver to it.  Redid that in 15 min on first try.  Was happy about that too.....lol.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:thumb glad I could help buddy. I like to pull it out in the sun worth the heat running for 15 20 minutes if possible. That'll give that moisture some time to dry. You perfect that chizzle though and it'll work wonders.

Ya...Ima start doin that on all of them.  It is unbelievable how good a window can look in the garage and you pull it out and see little dust spots here and there.....That's actually why I redid my buddies two roll downs.  Looked great inside.  Saw it weeks later in a parking lot and was like.....what the F?  Only takes 5 min to go around a car and knock out specs and a small crease line.  Now I know the secret to how so many guys get their installs almost pristine...lol.  My main issue has been small specs i missed in the garage.

Maybe brighter lights but it still doesn't equal the sunlight. I think it has to do with the coloring of the fluorescents. I've been in some pretty well lit shops and once the car was pulled out there were noticeable things in the window That previously looked flawless.

Ya my lighting is good.  I have 12 flourescents right above the car.  Must be the coloring.  Have to play with it.  Maybe if I turn those off and just turn the one bulb on in my nook and light the inside of the car it will backlight them.

My cleaning process is,

Clean the glass with tint safe glass cleaner.

roll down window and clean seals

roll up spray glass and razor glass

spray and squeege with red blade

use a gator blade and run along side seals

roll down window 1 inch wipe top window edge

spray and squeege with red blade again along with side seals

spray glass and install window film. 

I think this is pretty standard correct me if I am wrong. 

I have seen a lot of people wipe thier blade after a squeege pass will the scotts blue shop towel contaminate the glass?

Since I rinsed off all cars that came in my shop I used the wet check method to see if there are any imperfections in the tint.  If so, make a mental note, pull it in to get the water off and correct what needs correcting, then pull it out front.  Worked well to have an old quick lube building where I could pull them straight through.

Well. Got humbled today. Did a Regal. Prepped all the windows and sunroof in 1.5 hours. Installed all in about another hour and a half but wasnt happy w rear passenger window. Pulled it and must have been to my limit cuz I kept messing it up. Mustv done it four times. Lol. Need to learn to put things down and take a break sometimes. Plus one of the doors i popped I dropped my razor in so i had to pop the bottom and some of the clips broke so i had to go get more clips. Just ate up time. Dumb.

Archived