can you torch shrink solar FX carbon FX?

I can lite a cig with my heat gun, takes 20 to 30 seconds, takes 1 with my torch.  been playing with the tips for them cutting them shorter trying to get a wider flame. the 2-4k series is a fine point for plumbers. the 8k is a wider flame for big pipes.  yes you hold the torch further away then a heat gun and less heat applied to the car from a time stand point. over the years have melted a few moldings with a heat gun.  had to sand them out. for touch ups have a few torch lighters.  I check cars outside for fliplines or imperfections.  single burner torch lighter for spots close to moldings and a 3 burner for larger spots.  takes about 10 sec with a heat gun to heat the glass for a popup or 3 sec with a torch or mini.  I even use the torch inside the car on BG's and doors.  rule of thumb, if you hear the hair on your hand singe and smell it burning, your to close LOL.  I think about three months ago I quit carrying a heat in my tool box.  took some practice but finally deemed it obsolete.  now I feel it is more risky using a heat gun then a torch.  like the concept a dull pocket knife can cut you quicker then a sharp one

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 burner cig lighter, smoke shops carry them.  single burner for tight spots.   keep a chisler, gator blade and ez reach in my pocket for touch ups.  some shops i go to have terrible lighting, lets me touch up things outside.   in rain or freezing winter months I have a home depot 200 lumen mini light to check my work

Archived