Scratching glass

I'm after some advice so I don't make the same mistake twice.

I recently stripped and re-tinted a 2013 Toyota Hilux Extra Cab with some darker film. Unfortunately the customer returned the following day because some very fine scratches appeared underneath the film once it was dry.

I was in a bit of a hurry during the job so instead of waiting for my steamer to warm up I just ripped the old film off the glass, sprayed the remaining glue with plenty of soap solution and scraped it off with a fresh (American Line) blade.

I need to know what I did to scratch the glass so I don't do it again. How should I do things differently in the future?

Order stainless steel blades from your supplier. Also get some sprayway from Walmart and that will help loosen things up. When I get a vehicle that's bare glass I use just gator blades. Sucks buddy but learn from your mistakes.

Also as much as possible go up and down on the window not side to side. That way the blade follows the curve of the glass. Don't run over the stamp in the bottom corner a lot as that will dull the blade.

Could've been there from previous install. I do a lot of removals, some films hide scratches better than others. I always steam and scrub pad as much as possible with sprayway glass cleaner. Try to keep razor use to a minimum. Triple check previous install before you pay for someone else's f-up!

The scratches are vertical on the passenger door and on the pop out windows they're both vertical and horizontal.

This guys ute was immaculate as he is ultra picky so I know it was me that caused it unfortunately.

I think it may have been because I used the blade over the Toyota stamp too much and it caused a small burr in the blade which started to scratch the glass when i pressed down too hard.

The other bad thing is that I'll have to replace the glass with Toyota genuine glass because he is that particular about his car. It's all modified to look like an off road beast with a bull bar, winch, flares, etc but he just had it resprayed because it had a couple of little scratches in the paint. Lesson learned but I'm grateful for your responses because I'm self taught due to living out in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah man that sucks because you're going to replace the glass with oem and the guy in the end still won't be satisfied. I had to replace one at one point and I got an aftermarket glass. Lady asked if it was going to be the same oem window. Yes ma'am is the same laminate window you had before :lol

Archived