Tinting windows with slag

I tinted a 69 Nova show car in January and he just took it out of the garage today and it looked kind of well not great.  But it had a roll cage welded inside the car and the windows were pitted and had slag? in it (before I tinted it).  Is there anything I can do to make it look better?  Will redoing it make a difference?  Or should I just remove it?  

If you have not scrapped off the slag yet you can do that but then you will have pits left behind. At least there won't be raised portions which look like bubbles. Nothing else can be done based on my experience

I razored rusty slag? Off a 912 Porsche and it looked great. :dunno chews up the blade quick so you'll go through quite a few. And the likelihood that you'll scratch glass is there, at that point it is what it is. Unless they're ready to provide new windows.

I have heard of "rusty slag" (rail dust) on the outside of the window of vehicles, but how do you get that on the inside of a Porsche? I kinda understand on the Nova that had a roll cage installed, did the Porsche have something like that installed also? I have a friend who owns a detail shop that says he uses a clay bar to remove rail dust (slag) from windows with some success, just not sure about the inside of a window to be tinted, I have very minimal experience with using a clay bar, so not sure if that would work on the inside.

(Restored) Porsche lots of welding with glass in car 912's are old and they replaced most of the glass, just not the doors/wing windows 

Oh Ok, that makes sense, wasn't thinking about age of vehicle and being restored. My main job is railroad engineer, (tint business is side work) and I had no idea how much rail dust a brand new vehicle could have on it fresh off the show room floor, and most times you can't even tell it's there except months later on lighter colored vehicle (especially white when the rail dust starts to rust). We haul all kinds of vehicles, and I have thought many times about people who spend 60+k on a vehicle and don't know what that dust can do to the paint if you don't have it removed. Sometimes these vehicles travel 100s if not 1000s of miles on rail cars with all that metal dust settling on the windows and paint.

That's right. Get you a box of single edge blades and knock them down....sure don't miss crap. Never understood a restoration and leaving glass in

Archived