Post install drying - lighter or darker?

I haven't seen consensus on this. My question is whether tint will darken, lighten, or stay the same as it dries? I've came across all three answers. I know i could just wait and see myself, but i've tinted front windows on my vehicle in hopes it would match the back. My research seemed to indicate the stock tinted/smoked rear windows was closest to 20% and the installer said it was actually 15.

From the outside, it looks pretty well matched for the most part, the front is a tad darker, even with the light coming through the windshield, but barely noticeable. On the inside the front is much darker than the back, like alot, which imo just looks odd.  Any idea if this will cure to be lighter or darker? Thanks for your help!

Like i said i know i can wait and see myself but i'm impatient i suppose and the info on this is anything but clear. The tint was 3M for the record.

8 hours ago, PhuckPhace said:

I haven't seen consensus on this. My question is whether tint will darken, lighten, or stay the same as it dries? I've came across all three answers. I know i could just wait and see myself, but i've tinted front windows on my vehicle in hopes it would match the back. My research seemed to indicate the stock tinted/smoked rear windows was closest to 20% and the installer said it was actually 15.

From the outside, it looks pretty well matched for the most part, the front is a tad darker, even with the light coming through the windshield, but barely noticeable. On the inside the front is much darker than the back, like alot, which imo just looks odd.  Any idea if this will cure to be lighter or darker? Thanks for your help!

Like i said i know i can wait and see myself but i'm impatient i suppose and the info on this is anything but clear. The tint was 3M for the record.

There is no such thing as the film changing shade once dry.  There is only two shades it will be...out of the box percentage and once applied to glass percentage.  The only reason it changes when adding to glass is because automotive glass has a natural shade to it between 70 and 85.  So when you add them together, you get a slightly lower number.  The only time I have heard of a shop/installer saying that (it will get darker or lighter once dry) is when they were trying to get the customer to shut up and leave when they were inquiring about the film looking too light or too dark.  The best match is most likely what they installed, the next step up would be noticeable lighter than the rear.

Edited by DynamicAppearance

The Tint is a solid sheet of colored film.  It will not change darkness during the drying process.  

The outside appearance or as or as I call 'sheen' of the film will change a touch as the install moisture evaporates.  The 'sheen' is more noticeable to me on overcast days as that seems to bring out a touch of reflective ness on the glass.  But to answer your question no, the darkness or 'shade' of the film will not change.

what is the year make and model of the vehicle ? A few mannys have changed their factory privacy glsss to lighter shades than they have historically produced...  perhaps your installed installed a darker film assuming they were still the same darker factory glass ?

First off, your screen name :facepalm   SMH!  

You will not be able to match factory tint exactly by adding film to *green* glass.  Nobody can.  It just doesn't happen. :nope 

Factory tint is different for every manufacturer.  Plus it is built into the glass and not added to glass and ranges is percentage from the 30's to the 20's and occasionally a little lower than 20%, but not very often.    

Factory *green* glass (aka. clear) ranges from 78% to 72% depending on manny.  Adding film to factory green glass will not match the built in aspect of factory glass.  

Your installer used 15% to try to match 20%.  You are already losing at that before you get started.  To try to match 20% factory film you would need to use somewhere around a 25% to 28% film and you still aren't going to match anything perfectly.  

The reason it looks okay from the outside is because the windshield lets in so much light, versus the rear of the vehicle having a roof and not allowing as much light to factory tinted glass.    Physics man, Physics.  

As far as your tint getting lighter or darker,,, it will lighten up over time.  How good the film is will determine how much and how fast.  But you film will not change in the curing process.  

Of course it will be darker from the inside,,, you have 15% on top of *green* glass so you are probably around 11-12% and your factory glass is 20% 

thank you guys for your insight, alot! I gather you guys have to walk customer through this frequently so i appreciate the time y'all took to explain it to me. The vehicle is a 2017 1500 sport. the interior picture doesn't do it justice as it is very much darker then the back and this was taken in a garage + overcast. I dont want to be that pain of a customer, but the front being darker than the back is just backwards and weird Imo, so i think i will go back and have him do it lighter than the back if he can't match it.

side note: I love my screen name!

WP_20171001_12_42_53_Rich.jpg

WP_20171002_08_48_30_Rich.jpg

It is darker for sure, just have to go with the next shade up.  Downside is the "go-to" option to match the rear is 15/20.  In most cases this is fine, but some vehicles meter lighter than others.  This is why we meter all privacy windows to ensure we match it up the best.  Even if we can't, atleast we can discuss it with the customer prior to tinting.  A lot of shops will just slap on 15/20 without metering it assuming it will be fine.

6 minutes ago, DynamicAppearance said:

It is darker for sure, just have to go with the next shade up.  Downside is the "go-to" option to match the rear is 15/20.  In most cases this is fine, but some vehicles meter lighter than others.  This is why we meter all privacy windows to ensure we match it up the best.  Even if we can't, atleast we can discuss it with the customer prior to tinting.  A lot of shops will just slap on 15/20 without metering it assuming it will be fine.

:yeah   Toyota glass is notorious for being 30% not 20%.  Gotta check em. :thumb