How to element getting dirt nibs!

We are new installers and we've tried everything to avoid getting tiny dirt nibs. Here's our process, since we offer other detailing service, we usually install the ppf once we're done with all the detailing jobs. Then we clean our shop, we mop the floors and dust everything. Then we turn on the air filtration system for about an hour prior to installing the ppf. We moved our ppf table closer to the car so we're not carrying it so far, we have wet the car with the solution then tried to roll the film on the car while pulling the back paper off but we are still being haunted with tiny dirt nibs. I know there's no perfect install, but I want to be as close to perfect as possible. I have level set my customers that it's about the protection and not perfection but I want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to avoid getting dirt nibs or at least minimize them.  Is there something else we should be doing?

Thanks!

Sandra

Edited by DT Auto Spa
type

3 hours ago, DT Auto Spa said:

Hi Jake,

Thanks, yes we steam clean the area, we spray the area then squeegee. Someone shared with us to spray water in the air and on our floors so we're going to try that today!  These darn dirt nibs make the job take much longer to complete.

What's your final prep on the vehicle surface before you spray slip and apply the film?

After I wash and clay the panels and surrounding areas of the car I go and spray the trim and crevices with my soapy water solution and let it drip dry then another wipe down.  Much of that dirt may be coming from trim and crevices that the water is getting into when you spray it before you put the film on.

Also when you remove the backing there's quite a bit of static charge that attracts dust to it.  I spray the film and backing before I remove the backing to help kill the static charge.  

Try putting the film on a glass wall and soak it as you remove the backing so no dirt or dust sticks to the adhesive.  

Josh

Do you have an air compressor?  I take the blow nozzle and work from top of section down, blowing every crevasse out thoroughly and wiping as I go.  I use the light green window micro fibers because they leave nothing behind, then I spray the panel lightly to avoid water bringing down any debris and add solution as needed.    

We use a pressure tank... makes flushing areas much easier than spray bottles. It also minimizes the time it takes to remove the film and lay it. Also make sure to wipe down the sheet when removing it from the plotter. There is always a little static there so it attracts dust drifting in the air. 

It could be your water source. With all that prep you should not be having a consistent problem. Try using distilled water and see if it comes out clean. I clean my bottles out and make a fresh mixture of my solutions on each job especially if there is considerable time between jobs. Hope maybe that helps.