Scratch on roof window

Hello guys, so happy there is this forum for us customers to ask questions. 

I recently got my Model 3 tinted at a local place with good reviews. 

My sister noticed 4-5 scratches on her rear roof window, largest 1 inch. She had a Tesla mobile service guy actually examine it and he thought scratches are on the window and not the tint. He recommended demanding a refund/payment on replacing the window. Not sure what she is going to do but thought I would ask for your guys’ opinions. 

After she told me, I examined the entire tint job and found a 0.75 cm likely scratch also on the rear roof window. There are actually two of them immediately side by side. I initially thought they were creases and wasn’t so worried but I think I feel a divot when running my nail through them. I took a picture at night with flash that I uploaded. 

I think the likelihood of this scratch being caused by the tinting place is pretty high. I am upset that I brought the car in perfect condition and left with a scratch. It’s not the end of the world but I feel I should bring this up to the tinter? 

Would really appreciate your recommendations on my and my sister’s dilemmas. 

Thank you!

6A947E04-9E72-4902-8DBA-189C30B320D3.png

Edited by vega07

I will just add that brand new cars are never in "perfect" condition.  They are exposed to humans and elements prior to you having it in your possession.  So scratches/imperfections are common...people just assume there are none.  This is why people do paint correction on their brand new vehicle before doing PPF/Ceramic Coating.  Not saying the issue here was not caused by the shop, just saying the "perfect" concept doesn't exist.

Edited by DynamicATL

3 hours ago, DynamicATL said:

I will just add that brand new cars are never in "perfect" condition.  They are exposed to humans and elements prior to you having it in your possession.  So scratches/imperfections are common...people just assume there are none.  This is why people do paint correction on their brand new vehicle before doing PPF/Ceramic Coating.  Not saying the issue here was not caused by the shop, just saying the "perfect" concept doesn't exist.

Yes, for sure. So for my car having one is not a big deal, but with the 4-5 on my sister’s car is unfortunate. 

6 minutes ago, vega07 said:

Yes, for sure. So for my car having one is not a big deal, but with the 4-5 on my sister’s car is unfortunate. 

Just did an Infiniti Q60S that had scratches on both bumpers when it was bought along with the dealership scratching one of the door glasses.  The dealership ended up having to switch it out with another vehicle.  They said they "think" the scratches happened when they transferred the vehicle from another dealership.  I see it on 99% of the brand new vehicles we get in.

17 hours ago, DynamicATL said:

Just did an Infiniti Q60S that had scratches on both bumpers when it was bought along with the dealership scratching one of the door glasses.  The dealership ended up having to switch it out with another vehicle.  They said they "think" the scratches happened when they transferred the vehicle from another dealership.  I see it on 99% of the brand new vehicles we get in.

Good on them for switching it out for the customer. Our dealers around here would just have some crap touch up guy do it in the parking lot and call it good. I feel new car quality is going south quick. I see it in glass and paint the most , but that is what I stare at all day. I also am not say one way or the other that it didn't happen while getting tinted. But people don't look at cars the same way until after they have a service done. I point things out to people all the time that had no idea about it. But I bet they would have noticed it after we worked on it. This isn't so much directed at your situation, but something is defiantly going on with Tesla. I have work on many over they years  but the 2018's are not looking great. I have done 4 brand new Model X P100D's in the last couple weeks. Two Full body PPF wraps and two full front clips. All got front window tint. The paint has been horrible on all of them. Dirt nibs in the paint, even seeing wavyness in the body panels. We have a white one in the shop right now that looks like the mirrors have so little paint on them you can see the black showing through. The one we had last week had scratches all over the roof glass on the outside. The owner said he saw them when he got the car but it was to much of a hassle to deal with. Not to mention thing like having to close the hood a certain way or it will bend. Really!  Sorry that turned into a rant.

2 hours ago, Jake said:

But people don't look at cars the same way until after they have a service done. I point things out to people all the time that had no idea about it. But I bet they would have noticed it after we worked on it.

Exactly!  I wished when a car was brand new it was flawless, but the majority of the time that is not the case.  We had a guy a few weeks with a 2019 Audi S4 I believe that wanted to walk the vehicle before we pull it back.  As soon as we hear that request, we know this person is going to blame us for anything he can find afterward.  We go out there and pick out 30+ imperfections including dips in the paint, scratches on the glass, scratches on a b-pillar, and scratches on the front bumper.  I almost felt bad for the guy because he was in complete shock his car had so many issues.  Glad we did, cause those scratches on the glass and pillar would of been our fault for sure.

@Jake

you are on the money with the 2018 Tesla’s! I lost at least 5 Model 3 Tint jobs this past month, reason being that the ppf guys checked over the car and found so many issues with the paint that customers all decided to take them back for repair. I will most likely be getting these jobs when they bring them back, but I haven’t seen quite so many issues, consistently on the same make/model car in a long time.