60" + hoods i.e LC500, SL450

Has anyone out there managed to do a black (or any color) LC500 hood in one piece? if so how bad were the stretch or tack lines? Pictures? Just did a black SL450 hood in one piece which is about 62", came out beautiful but the LC needs 3"+ and seems unrealistic. Opinions?

Edited by kmattsmith

This technique will require 2 people.  I would have a 1/2 gallon of super super hot water on standby.     I would think you would tack the back of the hood 5-6 inches,  from Left to right. Pour the super hot water all over the hood really quick.  One person needs to pull down the middle towards the Lexus emblem in the front.   squeegee it from  the back of the hood towards the front while the film is stretched over the front edge of the hood.  Then you can work on the left and right sides of the hood.    Good luck.  

Reason I ask is I can force the material on the LC500 to fit but the stretch is enough to where is always leaves at least minor lines at either starting tack points or down by the front of the hood.  It seems that it is pushing the material beyond its limits and worries me about longevity down the road.

Hot water with  a little soap is fine.  The hot water will cover the entire piece of PPF very quickly and allow the material to be stretched.  It makes a mess but is a very effective way to allow the PPF to be easily stretched.  For your slip solution under the ppf, have you tried using Film ON?  That is my go to soap for doing full hoods.  

We've done lots of LC and SL full hoods one piece, we don't use hot water to stretch and don't get stretch lines. For slip we use JJ baby shampoo, water, and a splash of alcohol.

We try to do the full stretch before tacking or anchoring anything. Stretch it out and tack the excess film to the fenders and bumper to hold the stretch. If we do need to tack a small spot on the front and stretch back to the rear corners, I'll sometimes get the whole hood laid down then pop up the original front anchor and relax it a little to help it ease up the tension.

I'll post a couple pics if I find em

**side-note** on the MB SLS, and AMG GT hoods, we run the 60" film the other direction because the hoods are just way too long otherwise