2004 Mercedes E-Class Wagon

Guest Litespeeds

Guest Litespeeds

I tinted a brand new 2004 Mercedes E-Class wagon about 4 months ago for Mercedes of San Francisco and actually had some problems with the back glass. I didn't think much of it before until I had to do one yesterday with Huper Optik ceramic film. The big problem is the ULTRA-THICK defrost lines. When you heatshrink the film, it will pucker up all over the place. Be prepared to spend alot of time heating each pucker to try and get it to lay down without smearing air into the adhesive.

Now here is what happened yesterday. I had to install Huper Optik ceramic 30% on the back glass and didn't think much of it. Did my usual heatshrink of the film and from the outside it all layed down nicely. Put the film on and I had about 30-35 puckers which I just couldn't seem to get to lay down, even with heat. After about 30 minutes with no success, I decided to 2 piece the back glass. Sure enough, I ended up with around 15-20 puckers that did the same. I was so frustrated as I am trying to heat these puckers out because I sometimes smeared the air from a nearby defrost line. Round number 3, I decided to go with a 3 piece installation. That finally worked and I was able to get the film down without any puckers but I felt like I failed because I never do seamed installations anymore. After I thought about it, I realized the reason why I couldn't install the Huper Optik in one piece over thick defrost lines. The film is very thick and because the defrost lines were so thick, it caused the film to want to lift because I couldn't get enough of the soap solution out between the film.

This is just a little warning to those who have to work on the new E-Class wagons. Depending upon the type of film you are using, don't think the back glass is a piece of cake.

Guest Litespeeds

The first one that I did at Mercedes of S.F. was with Sungard Desert Smoke II and after I dry shrank the film, I had to fight with about 4 puckers that took me alot longer to lay down than I'd expected.

I know for a fact that the thicker the film, the more problems you will have on this back glass. If anyone has used or felt the Ceramic 30%, you will know what I am talking about. Feels almost like a 4 mil security film. :lol

Guest naughtydog

did one today and like litespeeds - I struggled my ass off with the backglass.

Now, I aint no good at back glasses on saloon vehicles as I have never really had much practise. This car had a fixed GPS antenns that made the shrink more awkward. Ended up with puckers and finger at the sides, gave em plenty of heat and they are still there but not as bad.

Wired wooled the lines a little as well on the second attempt

The customer is a pal and I told him the back glasses are a @#$% - I think he will be OK with it after I give em another push tomorrow.

rest of the car was OK. Front panels pull easily, back ones are a little tighter.

Onwards and upwards

Naughtydog

Archived