Volvo XC40 Recharge

doctor4766

So, a customer brought in his new 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge EV this morning for just the front doors to be tinted as the vehicle has privacy glass, as he was too much of a tight arse to pay for an upgrade film.

I knew it wasn't going to be simple right from the get-go, as I couldn't even find a start button on the dash.

I did notice though that the ignition lights had lit up though, which was weird since I hadn't pressed anything, so I put the shifter into reverse and sure enough it started to move backwards as I hit the "gas" pedal.

After getting the vehicle into the shop and making my template, I cut the film for the passenger front door and hung it on the peeling board.

Then I proceeded to prepare the glass, but the window wouldn't operate, even though I had just wound the window up from the driver's seat.

Turns out that the weight of your body in the driver's seat operates the start switch (if you have the FOB close by) and once you step out of the car the ignition turns off again. 

Looks like doing one of these on your own may prove a little difficult unless you have someone else to sit in the car while you tint the glass.

Any solutions welcomed

Had one in today, definitely recommend pulling the door panels. One 7mm behind the rubber plug behind the door handle, two t-25s below the armrest in easy view and two 7mm at the bottom of the panel. Bump upwards and comes right off.

Definitely need a sandbag if the wife, girlfriend and apprentice are all gone at the same time.