IR or UV Coating on glass.

I'm sure you are aware of this problem - that Lexus and some other manufacturers decided to install this super sensitive coating to the inside of the glass, that cannot be razor scraped at all. I had one a couple years ago and I had no idea what I was getting into you, and figured it was a one-time deal where the manufacturers realized what a stupid idea it was, & wouldn't do it anymore. Well, a week ago I had a brand new all electric Subaru SUV. It had the exact same thing on the front 2 windows - IR or UV coating that cannot be touched ! Didn't know about it & gouged the coating with my razor blade ... SO ... Does anyone know or have access to some sort of a complete list of these vehicles? I was informed by my sales rep that anyone using the core software from Llumar gets these notes about potential problems with the software - I don't understand why all  Llumar dealers don't get the same updates. I was completely unaware of this and it's going to cost me quite a bit of money to fix it because even though I didn't do anything wrong, it did happen at my shop! PXL_20231115_155906152.jpg.8be821792065b2595cdecf5a7890607a.jpgPXL_20231115_155906152.jpg.8be821792065b2595cdecf5a7890607a.jpg

Sure looks like auto glass technology is advancing. I remember the coating on Lexus and some Toyota models could be removed with a glass polish. It took some effort to get to the glass itself and that was an anti-fog coating technology.

This IR/UV coating is looking like it is more robust. I wouldn't want to be the one experimenting with whatever product to attempt removal of it. The UV rating is 99%+ reduction, but they limit what they  say about IR performance to: Mitigates sense of intense heat on the skin ... Controls rising cabin temperatures.

The link is to a company that apparently is deep into providing glass with this coating and they certainly limit info. Take a look for yourself. This appears to be something that could/would expand to more brands/models. It sure is going to put a new slant on selling film and installing film to cars.

https://www.cgc-jp.com/products/search_category/automotiveglass/ircut.html

The coating can be removed by "dry scraping" with stainless single edge razor blades, but it is very time consuming and tedious. The coating comes off like a super fine powder. If done correctly there is no damage to the glass and you can tint it just fine after a thorough cleaning.  

I scraped the drivers door clean after making the mistake of scratching the coating but I did not scrape the passenger side.  After tinting you could not tell the difference between the two.  

Edited by Bham