Pattern cutting.

Guest CloudWalker

Guest CloudWalker

What do you all do when the side mirror is too close to the window like on the 91 Lumina :beach I did today? and What do you do when the tops of the roll ups have the extreme beveled edge that you just can't get a clean cut on? Example like the 91 Lumina I did today. I just left the the edges on the tops all jagged today cause I was sick of the car and I never want to do another one again.

Edited for fowl language

dis hea be what the dog be doin :beach I put my film like normal on the window but I dont try and tuck it under the mirror I just let it overhand the mirror, I cut up the long side then I push the film around the mirror so I can get some kinda reference point, it might only be a couple inches, I hold the film there and make a line with a eraseably marker, I roll the window down, I stick my blade out alittle longer than normaland I cut across the top all the way, the trick is to NOT angle your blade it will catch on the bevel and get jacked up, just stick the blade in straight and cut without angeling the blade down. I take my pattern over to my glass and use a straight edge to finish the cut that I marked with the pen.

the bevelled edge shouldn't be a problem , just make sure your knife is at a 90 degree angle as you ride the edge along the top of the glass, doesn't really matter to much on the degree...just keep it consistant as you do it..as far as recessed mirrors like them, older mustangs etc. when the peice is on the outside of the window, flip out the film that's usually tucked behind the mirror and rest it on the reflective part of the mirror..in other words, there's now a 90 degree bend in the film. Take achina marker or press really lightly with your knife and score the film about 1 and a half inches on the mirror , slightly angled .Take peice off of glass, finish cut off on wall glass :beach

if all else fails on a vehicle with a mirror I cut everything but around the mirror, then I roll the window up and put the tint on the inside for a trial fit, make a couple reference points with a marker then cut it on the glass.

MDOG's way is good too..and whe nI do that sometimes , I'll keep the pattern for the next one...including reversing it for the opposite door on the same car..I stil like cutting the top edge on each window though for a true micro fit to that window, then do the rest with the old backing template :beach

Guest Zrok

FYI folks, on the old skook mustangs, there's 1 screw, then 2 8mm nuts and the mirror comes off for easy access to the window..as for the others, I just leave a little flappy up front, and what they get is what they get. :dunno

enough has been said about the top edge. what I do for the mirror is. I tuck maybe an inch or two behind the mirror. by inch or two I mean going down . not an inch of extra film. then I just make a cut. and do the top as normal. after I get it off the glass . that inch or two cut I made gives me my guide of how the cut should follow. and just go with that angle

Archived