Tinting with GPS/Satellite Radio

Guest JDP

Guest metint
my antenna for the xm is on the roof and it works fine, I dont know where the navigation antenna is though. I can say DEFINITELY it WILL NOT mess with xm radio if its like my accord.

MDOG,

Most likely both units use the same antenna since they both receive signal from satellite.

Metallized film will disrupt radio, cell, gps, radar detector, etc. signals on a varying basis... one can never know whether the metal deposition in a film is sufficient to achieve this disruptive phenomenon.

You could always attempt an invisi-seam above the last defrost line before stripping to redo because someone has lost their signal. This breaks the conducting connection between film on the antenna and film on the defrost (signals seem to ground to chassis through the defrost unit.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the handbook, it warns against using window tint that contains metallic substances, because that can block or interfere with the GPS and XM radio satellite.

I see this warning more and more with only a few makes/models actually having any issue with inteference. In those few vehicles we use Formula One's Pinnacle Series. The way I understand it is that conductivity of films decreases signal strength and conductivity is measured in OHMS of resistance. The information I see indicates other "ceramic type" films and films with metals have measurable OHMS while the Pinnacle Series films do not meaning it is non-conductive and won't interfere with reception. I'm told Pinnacle was developed to specifically address and handle the inteference issue.

I appreciate all the advice. Yes, my antenna looks just about like the one in the picture above, the only difference is, I think mine is closer to the glass - it sits on the metal but it's right up against the top line of the glass.

I've got another issue now. I decided I want to go ahead and get Huper Optik ceramic film put on the car. Problem is, I don't know how to find someone in my area (Tampa, FL) who installs it. I called Huper USA, who referred me to the Florida distributor. I called him, and he referred me to a nearby security film installer and said "they have a guy who can do it", but this company seems to only do residential applications. When I called them, the lady said they only do residential, but when I mentioned I was referred by the Florida Huper distributor, she said "oh there is a guy I can give the message to". This was a few days ago, but nobody seems to be calling me back.

I have a feeling that most tint shops I call out of the phone book aren't going to handle Huper Optik.

Are shops that install Huper that hard to find? Is this a pretty well known product in the industry?

Guest S and S
yeah, honda really screwed up on that design didn't they? go get you a cheapo tint job, one of those $89 deals. you won't have any problems with the navigation and XM. :lol but in 6 months, you'll have a whole new problem. :spit

:spit:lol:lol:lol:rock:hump

I want to go ahead and get Huper Optik ceramic film put on the car. Problem is, I don't know how to find someone in my area (Tampa, FL) who installs it. I called Huper USA, who referred me to the Florida distributor. I called him, and he referred me to a nearby security film installer and said "they have a guy who can do it", but this company seems to only do residential applications. When I called them, the lady said they only do residential, but when I mentioned I was referred by the Florida Huper distributor, she said "oh there is a guy I can give the message to". This was a few days ago, but nobody seems to be calling me back.

:passout

Guest tintslut
Are shops that install Huper that hard to find? Is this a pretty well known product in the industry?

well known yes. Definately takes some skill to put it on a car.

If your feeling game, I can offer you a precut huper kit for your car , and have your fave tint*s*s*s installer stick it on for you :passout

Guest metint

FormulaOne film installer will most likely be as hard to find in Florida as Hupti do film...

There are only a few tinters in Florida that care to pay the higher film costs to carry film that performs similar to less expensive products.

Find a good installer and ask him if he has had returns for the antenna and metallized film issue on your make and model car... there are so many variables in why, when, where and how film will affect one electronic system compared with another. :thumb

This isn't an issue to obsess over... :spit

Well, as an update, I went ahead and found a tinter in my area who uses Huper Optik for my 2004 Accord coupe.

Just got it done this morning, and sure enough, the navigation system is dead. The system won't track my position, it basically just shows an icon on the map spinning around.

Oddly enough, the XM Radio works.

Someone mentioned that they thought the antenna was in the "dots" around the top of the back glass. The tinter tinted over these dots. Could that be why the GPS is dead?

I have a call into him to see what can be done.

Archived