Don't toss your old squeegees

Well like I said in another post I would share some of the things I learned from training that may be new. The guy that started training me had his blue maxx out and was showing me how rough the edges were from normal wear. He then took a wood planer, put it in the vice and ran the blue maxx over it. It shaved a piece off that was paper thin and the squeegee looked new again. I know theyre not too expensive but why buy a new one if you don't have to? I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned anything like this before so I apologize if they have! I can't find a picture of one similar to the one he used but it seemed older if anyone knows what I'm talking about

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice tip.

I had a sheet metal shop shear/cut a new edge on a couple of Blue Max and Orange Crush blades once.

Seems like the orange crush leaves too many urethane marks behind when new and again after being re-cut on the edge.

Seems to vary with the film used.

Others have commented on that peculiar aspect as well.

Guest scottydosnntkno
Well like I said in another post I would share some of the things I learned from training that may be new. The guy that started training me had his blue maxx out and was showing me how rough the edges were from normal wear. He then took a wood planer, put it in the vice and ran the blue maxx over it. It shaved a piece off that was paper thin and the squeegee looked new again. I know theyre not too expensive but why buy a new one if you don't have to? I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned anything like this before so I apologize if they have! I can't find a picture of one similar to the one he used but it seemed older if anyone knows what I'm talking about

thats what they make the hard card sharpener for. Does the same thing :twocents

thats what they make the hard card sharpener for. Does the same thing :lol2

:twocents

Guest 515tinter

thats what they make the hard card sharpener for. Does the same thing :lol2

:twocents

x2

I guess I'm one of the few that thinks those hard card sharpeners are crap :twocents:lol2 the glass shop I share a building with has a big belt glass sander. the thing works great for fine-tuning squeegee edges.

Yeah I'm kinda thinking a HARD CARD sharpener is for HARD CARDs not soft urethane. And yeah, our tool dealers have them made in China for what penny each?

Quality I'm telling ya.

Anyone remember how good the White Teflon cards were back in the very early nineties when they were USA made?

I guess I'm one of the few that thinks those hard card sharpeners are crap :dunno:lol the glass shop I share a building with has a big belt glass sander. the thing works great for fine-tuning squeegee edges.

I thought the same thing till I realized that they are all not created equal..it's a craap shoot when you buy one. I have 2 . They look the same but one takes off a lot of rubber, the other takes of a sliver so thin that if you were shaving bacon , the swine pig wouldn't even feel it coming off his arse. I've had both for yrs and use them daily.

I should mention this only because I know that some tinters do not realize this but the inner channel is for shaving 6" b/w squeegees , or anything thin , on the outside of the channel , the blade extends beyond it for a reason..it's for your other squeegees to sharpen like orange crush, blue max , etc :beer

Guest tintjam65
I guess I'm one of the few that thinks those hard card sharpeners are crap :dunno:beer the glass shop I share a building with has a big belt glass sander. the thing works great for fine-tuning squeegee edges.

I thought the same thing till I realized that they are all not created equal..it's a craap shoot when you buy one. I have 2 . They look the same but one takes off a lot of rubber, the other takes of a sliver so thin that if you were shaving bacon , the swine pig wouldn't even feel it coming off his arse. I've had both for yrs and use them daily.

Simply have to adjust the blade position.

90 degree wood plane is best for those blue max or other blades without a bevel edge, a bit pricey at or around a benjamin.

Archived