Multiple Layers of Security Film

Hi Guys.

I have a client who needs to build up a glass face to make it a little more flush to a thin stainless steel trim running around it.

I thought of putting multiple layers of security film to build it up.

I need to get it to about 1000 microns. So using maybe 3 layers of a 14 mil window film may do the trick?

My biggest concern is whether I need to let the first layer cure/dry before layering.

For people who have tried multi layering, would this be the best process or would layering all at once be ok?

Also, what's the clarity like?

Not sure of what to do and how to go about this??

All help and feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Hi Guys.

I have a client who needs to build up a glass face to make it a little more flush to a thin stainless steel trim running around it.

I thought of putting multiple layers of security film to build it up.

I need to get it to about 1000 microns. So using maybe 3 layers of a 14 mil window film may do the trick?

My biggest concern is whether I need to let the first layer cure/dry before layering.

For people who have tried multi layering, would this be the best process or would layering all at once be ok?

Also, what's the clarity like?

Not sure of what to do and how to go about this??

All help and feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Hey GT,

There is a film made by Dupont called SpallShield, It is an Anti Spalling film. Spalling is the effect of very small fragments of glass breaking away from the back of the glass surface and then becoming a dangerous hazard. It is used for bomb rated, and bulletproof glass. It comes in a standard thickness of around 900 microns, and may be a good option for applying just 1 coat of film. Sourcing it is a completely different ball game. You may need to contact Dupont direct and see if you can buy just a small piece... The roll lengths are 228m. Just thought I would throw that out there as applying many layers of security film may be even more hassle.

All the best.

Let each layer cure before applying the next to be safe. You might get away with doing it in 1 hit if it gets strong sun on it, but being winter at the moment, I wouldn't risk it.

Clarity should be fine for all but the fussiest customer, won't be quite as clear as a single layer of course.

Why don't you do a sample first, whack up 3 layers of A4 size and see how it goes.

Good luck tearing it off years down the track, start working out now.

Guest gazscot

the 1st layer will need to be cured and even if installed in the strong sun, you need to give it at least 24 hours to "tack" to the glass or it will lift when applying the 2nd layer. Have done this in Oman and it went ok, with regards to the clarity with that thickness you want there will be a bit of hazing

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Its a great glass elevator like Willy Wonkas

Internal with absolutely no sun.

This will be ongoing work because of graffiti artists etc..

It would be great to do it in 1 hit.

I'll give DuPont a call tomorrow and see what happens?

Thanks again guys!

Cheers.

GTint

Might want to add some isopropyl to your slip

This and DEFINITELY Put a layer of anti-graffiti on top of whatever you do.

You might want to PM VZLA-tint as he layers thick films on a regular basis.

Ask someone who knows!

Ask someone who knows!

Kats, I have never done it, how would AG come off the film layer underneath, I have only taken it off glass before?

Ask someone who knows!

Kats, I have never done it, how would AG come off the film layer underneath, I have only taken it off glass before?

MUCH better than yanking off a thick layer of safety film every time!

Archived