Remove Third Brake Light Plastic Cover Tabs

Guest SQUEEGEE

Guest SQUEEGEE

After breakin' many of these in the past (especially on older vehicles) a stereo installer gave me this great tip.

Use a pair of these:

wire%20cutter.jpg

To remove the side plastic secure tabs on a tailight cover similar to this:

tailightcover.jpg

The sharp tip and the graduated slope of the wire cutter surface make it perfect for sliding underneath the little bastards, getting a good grip on them and pulling them out safely without breaking them - even older ones.

Hope it helps other installers as much as it has helped me personally.

Squeej

Guest SQUEEGEE

I couldn't find a picture online of the little tabs that often hold the brake light cover in place but if you've been tinting long enough I'm sure you've broken a few like I have.

It also works great on larger tabs as well for deck removal on cars like the Cavalier and so forth.

Guest thetintshop

here's the set it comes in. that long one is perfect for honda back decks, and those cherokee back hatch covers. (if you remove the back glass out of the cherokees, then you're familiar with how pulling on the cover can break it where the tabs attach)

It is a good tip :lol I must be a rare one then...I've never had a problem with brakelights. Never broke one nor have I ever used a tool for prying one out. With the ines with tabs...I usually just push the light towards the back of the car, then lift. (hope I haven't jinxed myself ) :lol:drunk

Guest tintgod

good tip for newbies....I have never broken any either..I just give it a small tap with my hand in and up , and they pop right out...

Guest metint

The ones I remember have a center post of sorts... I always pushed the center post in and the outer cap would then release (or pull out) easily.

Is this the same plastic tabs you're speaking of? :lol

Guest Eclipse
good tip for newbies....I have never broken any either..I just give it a small tap with my hand in and up , and they pop right out...

Thats what I do. :lol

Archived