Olfa knife

Guest ncinirator

Guest ncinirator

I cut a strio for the front windshield of a car the and scratched the glass. :lol6 I thought the knied werent supposed to do that unless you were using a carbon blade. Was I pressing too hard? About how many cuts can you get out of a blade before snipping it of to the next one? :lol6

Any suggestion on how not to scratch customers glass? :lol6

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carbon will definatly scratch glass(but you already know this) anything other than Stainless steel Olfa IMO is the way to go...however ..this is not a guarantee against scratching glass as different cars have different softness of glass.

My best advise is to keep your pressure consistant, snap your blade often(cheaper than replacing a glass vs. a 3 cent "snap" and most important...keep the length of your blade coming out of the knife consistant. For example..if your pressure is the same...but you have an extra "click" out more than B4..your pressure on the knife now has more "torque" if you will on impact of glass. Keep it consistant. I usually have about 3 out of my knife..doesn't mean that's the "correct " amount..means it works for the pressure I use. Also in time you 'll be able to feel through the knife if it's starting to scratch and you'll know enough t oease up..doesn't come overnight. Hope this helps :lol6

Sharp point is a must grasshopper! Or you could use a button under the point and the blade would not touch the glass! :beer

yeah..but that's like Barny Fife (Andy Grifith Show) only allowed to carry a gun if he keeps the bullet in his shirt pocket :lol

Guest BCCwintint

Also if I may add this, Gentlemen;

If you hold your Olfa knife at too steep an angle while cutting that can also scratch the glass. You should hold your Olfa at 30 degrees or lower to prevent scratching, in addition to what everyone else said. Good luck :thumb

If you hold your Olfa knife at too steep an angle while cutting that can also scratch the glass. You should hold your Olfa at 30 degrees or lower to prevent scratching, in addition to what everyone else said. Good luck :thumb

:thumb is correct..I did forget the importance of mentioning the angle...

But then if I did that would be a complete lesson and would have to charge :thumb

I run mine at closer to 10 degrees and do not keep fingers on top of the knife unless cutting thick tint. this was it is more like slicing the tint with applying much downward force :thumb

I'd say the actual degree used (10-40 )isn't as important as keeping it as consistant as the pressure used..it's a balance between the 2

eg..you could use a 40 degree angle and press less or a 10 degree angle and press a little bit harder..as long as the "feel" is there

1. pressure

2. length of blade

3. angle held at

:thumb

Guest ncinirator

Thanks for the great advise. :lol6 Wonder how many scratches windows it would have taken me to figure some of that stuff out, put a button under the blade thats great stuff :lol6

Archived